Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So now that I have fully "bulletproofed" my truck (egr delete, new oil cooler, IPR coolant filter, ARP studs, gaskets, heads milled flat...and a way to monitor things while on the road)......can I run a mild street tune without fear of having any head gasket issues in the future, or are these 6.0's never really "safe" if you try to bump more power out of them. After spending the last week pulling the heads to put the studs in.......I really don't ever want to do that again, what a pain in the butt!

Would something like the Innovative Diesel "street" tune be safe?

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
No engine is safe from problems, not even studded engines running stock software. And tuning will increase the likelyhood of problems. It will also exacerbate any shortcomings that a given engine may have. That's the bottom line.

Having said that, you are now better equipped to handle the problems that may arise from a tune. That's for sure. At least some of the problems anyway.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Really, I wonder why I bought a tuner. It looks like after trying all the tunes, I get best mileage stock. And it's not because I get on it with tunes. I do like one thing....with gearhead I can lock out OD in tow/haul.

Sent from my TouchPad using Tapatalk

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,399 Posts
You'll be just fine running tunes on it. Heck run a race tune on it. We have several trucks at our shop we recently studded that we put race tunes on all day long. They get up and move I'll tell you that.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Native Texan
9,037 Posts
6.0l will hold up great with studs as long as the deck was flat when it was assembled. most of the problems I have seen was when people tried to cut corners and not have the decks checked. Also make sure ur vgt is nice and free overboost is a problem when vgts stick.

Sent from my super awsome outdated new Samsung phone whose 500mA draw hasn't over-overloaded multiple already over rated branch circuits just beyond the kaboom point and caught everything on fire yet. So# @heavydoc can be happy that it finally did.? And# @Turd-250 "WILL" be blamed for. If My internet will stay up for# @heavydoc to see my pics. And @ArmyFord6.0 will still be eatting quinoa wishing it was bacon.? And @Dustybumpers(Aka Trouble maker Charles) can hijack Rainbow Rob's thread.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Jamie's answer is probably the best....no engine is safe. We've all heard stories of people popping a HG or blowing something 5000 miles into a new rebuild, and those who have run 100k+ with a tune on a stock engine. It all depends, like masakimm said, on whether the engine was built right in the first place. If you're sure all the work is right, go for it. I run a 100HP FICM tune daily (in the summer...winter I switch to the 40), have zero problems, and enjoy a mileage increase as well. Will it survive another 100k with that tune? Maybe. Maybe not. However, I'm comfortable with the knowledge that everything was done right when I rebuilt her, so I don't foresee anything breaking in the short term.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've settled on running the IDP Towing tune that I got from Eric. Better shifting over stock, with a small 30hp boost. I think that's about as "safe" as I can get without having to go back to the sluggish stock tune. I guess I do have the canned SCT "Trans Only" tune.....but I'd be willing to bet that the shifting on the IDP Towing tune is better.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts