Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know what the manual says but would like to hear just how much weight people are actually towing with their OBS and the configuration of the truck and trailer (GN, BP).

My brother owns a Bobcat I like to borrow but the weight with the trailer, a little over 13k, is more than my truck is rated for so he always delivers. It would be nice to just go pick it up every once in a while.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
16,200lbs
Truck is 7,200. Trailer is 3,000. And load is 6000.
Didnt even know it was there(BTW chip was OFF)

But hell if my GUTLESS 6.9 can tow a 12k excavator and 3k trailer, I think you will be fine

·
Registered
295 Posts
6000# 25' GN and 10,000# pulling tractor behind my dually with no problem. Its stock besides a straightpipe (stock DP), 6637, and 4:10's
I just take my time with it, unlike my buddy who pulls the same setup with his 06 DMax dually at 75mph up 10% grades...

·
Registered
588 Posts
I know what the manual says but would like to hear just how much weight people are actually towing with their OBS and the configuration of the truck and trailer (GN, BP).

My brother owns a Bobcat I like to borrow but the weight with the trailer, a little over 13k, is more than my truck is rated for so he always delivers. It would be nice to just go pick it up every once in a while.
You'll be fine. I know guys that pull that much with a 1/2 ton.

·
Registered
347 Posts
yup you will be fine, i tow 10-12k with ease!

·
Registered
433 Posts
i tow our 35' bumper mount camper that weighs in at 7,000# empty!
nothing over that as i dont have the goose plate in stalled yet.

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
I went over a scale at just over 20,000 lbs, gooseneck loaded with scrap metal.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I use my 95 occasionally for projects around the house with my 25' gooseneck flatbed. The trailer weighs 5k by itself and the truck handles it fine but you know it's there for sure. I've hauled several loads of concrete which I estimate total trailer weight a little over 10k, and it's not something I would do everyday.

My 95 has a hard time going up the mountain with two sleds on an open trailer, I'd love to know the secret about some of these old trucks that pull 10k lbs like it's nothing. My truck runs great empty, much better than a stock truck for sure. It also has 4.10's but is still a dog for towing, at least compared to my other diesels.

·
powersmoker73
222 Posts
16,200lbs
Truck is 7,200. Trailer is 3,000. And load is 6000.
Didnt even know it was there(BTW chip was OFF)

But hell if my GUTLESS 6.9 can tow a 12k excavator and 3k trailer, I think you will be fine

Just wondering, what's the 6000# load? I get the 12,200. Nice 78? btw

·
Registered
137 Posts
I hooked to a 60' mobile home once, just a little light on the steering.

·
Canadian Eh
675 Posts
The 78 is probably the 6000#
The obs would be around 7200

·
Registered
62 Posts
We towed a bobcat with a Tahoe. Don't know how much the trailer weighed but it was made completely out of 1/4" angle and tubing. We had a trailer brake controller on the hoe. When loading the bobcat onto the trailer it almost picked the back tires of the hoe off the ground.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
12.500 loaded trailer with horses and camping gear.total at the scales was 17.600

Attachments

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
You will be more than fine, give yourself a little extra room for breaking. Exhaust break and upgraded brakes would always help but are not needed for a load that size.

·
Registered
326 Posts
i pulled a 12k load with mine fairly easy trans was slipping but when the torque converter locked it pulled fine even up grades...that's with 3:55s too ;)

·
zfsix4our
296 Posts
I know Ive got a 6.4 but I go WAY over what the limits are. Ive pulled gross weight with my truck about 28,000 lbs with no problem with an F250, youre fine man, they just say those numbers for liability. In the end its a ford and will take it...but just leave room for breaking. Im really surprised for my 3/4 ton and I think the older trucks are built better!

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
Did my first real tow last night. 24' racing car trailer STUFFED with my buddy Dee's household [email protected], 110 miles. Her dad estimated it at 10,000 with the trailer; she wanted to pull it with a half-ton Chev with no brake controller :eek:. Truck is stock except for the Riffraff 6637; haven't installed the downpipe yet. Def felt it on launch (actually smelled a HINT of clutch material on one launch), and had to shift later of course, esp on hills. But straight down the road, you'd hardly know it was there.

Oh, and I forgot the "strap-on" mirror extensions, so I had the fun of towing with Nemo mirrors. Amazing how many stooooopid people will follow you so closely that all you see is their headlight beam on the pavement. Have they never read the adage on the back of many semis: "If you can't see my mirrors, I can't see you"?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts