Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know the reliability issue is debated a lot, but I am curious. I love my '01, but I came across a screaming deal on an '03 6L fully loaded Lariat. Its a NICE truck. Its got 60K on it and the owner is really paranoid about the reliable perception of these trucks, and he says its been in the shop a couple of times for turbo issues. :blah:

Anyway, the few things I can think of that can be problems are the turbos, head studs, and EGR. I know stock it would be way beyond my slightly upgraded '01. So what I want/need is a strong reliable truck. My hauler is a tag and 15K lbs, with a lot of wind drag. I originally bought the 6-speed in mine for the affordability and reliability, but letting someone else row would be nice. The truck HAS to take abuse towing, go up the hills with my monster hauler at a quick pace(my '01 doesn't), and its gotta last another 200K, at least.

So in the process of considering this truck what would I need/want to do to build a strong, reliable truck. I am also looking at cost, if I do this I would drive it straight home or to a shop and upgrade immediately, so I need to know realistically how much I am looking at to get going.

My initial list is:
upgraded turbo
EGR upgrade
tuner
exhaust
guages
intake
intercooler
injectors

Thanks for the help. :D

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats why I asked.

·
<----Colin Banks
3,001 Posts
One thing to look for is to check if it has been updated to the C2 injectors. The C94 injectors are the ones that had a lot of issues.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
One thing to look for is to check if it has been updated to the C2 injectors. The C94 injectors are the ones that had a lot of issues.
Thats the info I am looking for.

·
Registered
868 Posts
03 was the first year..some had a lot of problems and some had few. get his vin and have an Oasis report run at your local ford

once you get it you can spend a little money and be at around 500hp.

DJ sells a kit and Innovative can match it but elite is a little more

DJ sells a kit:
Studs
VGT ss turbo
190cc injectors
EGT UP pipe w/ delete
DJ's fuel intensifier and regulated return w/ braided hoses
and its like $4500 i believe for all of that. bumps turbo up to 1200 CFM over stock 700 CFM

maybe get a converter from wood or have him build your trans.

Spearco IC, MBRP or magnaflow 4 or 5 inch turbo back.. (straight piped sounds awesome on these trucks!!!) AFE intake and an SCT livewire (doubles as gauges and monitors up to 6 at a time including EGTs) tuned by either DJ, Elite, Innovative, etc.

then maybe 3 on the pillar w/ fuel pressure, oil pressure, and trans temp.

all of these will fix the problems that were notorious on these trucks...and in the process make them a lot faster, powerful and reliable.

this is what my list looks like after much research and im startin to put checks next to all of them lol. im tryin to get my truck around 500 and be a strong daily driver thats reliable and this seemed pretty good deal. plus if you find a cool dealership and truck has warrenty which if you get this one it will have 40k left, you will be able to have this stuff done under warrenty...are you in CA?

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
My initial list is:
upgraded turbo
EGR upgrade
tuner
exhaust
guages
intake
intercooler
injectors

Thanks for the help. :D

Add studs to your list. My '05 started puking with just a hot programmer and I had the egr delete with programming to turn it off.

·
Registered
292 Posts
If I were to buy another 6.0 it would be a 03. I think its the best year for performance. As far as reliabilty goes there are good ones and bad ones. Some 03's are better then some 06's. If your pullin a trailer alot your goin to need studs sooner or later.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
yep I have the same year and had the same problem
Funny thing is, I put a Bully Dog on it about a week ago just to see and it doesn't puke. It'd puke in the lowest setting with the SCT though. Had the SCT on it last about 3 to 4 months ago I think.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Our 04 6.0L has been through hell and back without a hickup. I have stacked chips, added 100% methanol, and nitrous, on a stacked chip and the only thing that I had to replace were our tires every 3000 miles. But everytime I drive it I know I could lose the head gaskets....So far it has been reliable, We have fixed the coolant puke issue, tested some different lubricating oils, upgraded fuel delivery, and have the transmission tuned to where it runs reliably on stock internals and stock convertor...I havent done head studs yet, as I am seeing how much abuse this damn thing will take...I know...everyone tells me that the heads are going to lift, but so far everything is nice and tight....But if I were to look into my majical crystal ball, it would forcast a head stud installation in the near future...SO my advice as a 6.0L pilot is to treat it like any other diesel truck, make the appropriate upgrades as necesary to safely run the engine for the horsepower levels that are being created and you will have a very fine, reliable truck...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts