Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be pulling and resealing my oil cooler this weekend. I figure since im going to lose some coolant I am going to flush the cooling system while im at it. How much coolant do these trucks hold? Its a 95 f250 by the way.

·
Registered
3,563 Posts
That's 8 gallons total, not just coolant, so cut it in half and add 4 gallons of coolant and fill the rest with water.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I could only get 7 in mine.. Been a couple hundred miles and still no room for more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Don't forget to use distilled water and DCA for cavitation or just get a ELC either to prevent cavitation.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to ask earlier how much oil am I going to lose when I pull the cooler off? Should I drain the oil out of the motor first?

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
It's going to take around 7 gals. Buy 4 gals antifreeze, 4 gals distilled water and 4 bottles DCA. Dump the 4 bottles of DCA, 3 gals of antifreeze and 3 gals of distilled water right in. Then make a 50-50 mixture of antifreeze and distilled water in an empty gal jug left over. Start topping off with the home brew mixture.

And make sure you get the timing cover and block gaskets from Ford. Do NOT use the Int'l black gasket for the timing cover, it'll leak. You want the aluminum gasket with the blue rubber seals. The oil cooler o-rings from who ever you want.

When you button it back up, use a torque wrench for the bolts especially for the timing cover end. Make sure the bottom bolt on the timing cover side doesn't bottom out against the cover. You might need to add a washer. You do not want to strip/crack the timing cover.

Billy T.
[email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts