Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 excursion diesel. I never owned an automatic diesel before so im used to just upgrading the clutch and building power without worries. My question is, how much power can my stock automatic trans handle? the excursion has 250,000 miles on it (i know thats alot but it was well cared for). The fluid is clean and does not smell burnt. The car was completely stock when I got it and looks like it never saw a trailer in its life. I want to do an intake, exhaust and chip. just for fuel economy... and to make it a little faster than my boss's f-150 :evil . I dont plan on injectors. I have a pulling truck for that. will custom tunes including a 140hp tune hurt my trans?

·
Registered
270 Posts
my opinion is you keep the stock injectors the trans will handle it but needs some upgrades to do it. Some sort of shift kit or valvebody and maybe a torque converter upgrade and you will think its a different truck. with 250k you never know though. I recently tore down the trans from a friends 2000 7.3 and it looked like new inside still.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Being you have a 2001, you MIGHT have the issue of the diode. Nobody knows when it will lock up but when it does, you can kiss the trans goodbye. I wouldn't count on a trans lasting more than that. Run a 140 tune and it will go sooner than later.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thanks for the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts