Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what is he safe limit for normal head bolts on these trucks? I still it stock head bolts and don't want to pop head gasket untill summer time come because till then I really don't wanna be spending the extra money for head studs and gaskets. Summertime I'll be working a lot of overtime and can afford it then.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
I have my insight set for 28 and usually don't hit it unless it's in 5th gear converter locked it will hit 31-32 psi. I haven't had any problems yet been running x street for 5-6 months now

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
That being said your still playing with fire running bigger tunes on stock bolts some hold up better than others I never beat on my truck till it's fully warmed up and even then usually don't see much over 1/2 throttle

·
Registered
351 Posts
no way to really tell. Some drag race with xtreme race tunes all day long on stock bolts some pop gaskets when driving like a granny.

·
scouts out...
246 Posts
IMHO if your running tunes even canned tunes on stock studs you're tempting fate, like it was said before every truck is different. Some will last quite awhile, others not so much. The general number that is thrown around is to keep it under 28lbs but it's certainly no for sure bet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I personally wouldn't run anymore than 30. I do drive a 6.0 and not a 6.4 but the max for a 6.0 is 40 if you are lucky. Most of the time they wont even take 40.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I am talking about my 2003 6.0 truck not my 6.4

·
Registered
50 Posts
Isn't cylinder pressure more than just boost pressure? A lit of that has to do with the timing set on the injectors. With it being stock I'm not sure how big of a pulsewidth the tuners run, but when the injector fires plays a big role on blowing gaskets...not just boost creates cylinder pressure. The hot tunes have more timing.

I personally am not tuning it until I stud it. I don't want to play Russian roulette with 5 bullets in the gun...

·
Banned
2,444 Posts
If you want power, you are better putting a FICM tune on it. It wont increase cylinder pressure, and will change when the injectors fire.
Cylinder pressure is from added fuel, boost and timing. Anything that puts more volume of something in the cylinders.
Granted that you can blow gaskets with studs with timing set too high.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts