Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
More and more every day, Bill.

Funny, when Jody and I worked our telecommunications business part-time we charged for phone tech support like every other telecom business did. Lawyers do it why can't we do it too. LOL

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
All the time... only Bill answers the questions. He's even gone so far as to call the company in question and get the answer for the original caller.
[/IMG]

I can't believe someone would be such an a$$ and get angry for you referring them back to the original vendor(s). That's ridiculous!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All the time... only Bill answers the questions. He's even gone so far as to call the company in question and get the answer for the original caller.
[/IMG]

I can't believe someone would be such an a$$ and get angry for you referring them back to the original vendor(s). That's ridiculous!
:D Exactly.

Funny, when Jody and I worked our telecommunications business part-time we charged for phone tech support like every other telecom business did. Lawyers do it why can't we do it too. LOL
:D Exactly X 2!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I have done the same thing myself several times...

I deal with calls all the time on products I did not sell the because they cannot get the vendor on the phone that sold them the product.

It does not bother me as long as I have the time to deal with it. I have even gained several new customers that decided to deal with me for their next purchases because I was available when they called.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I have even gained several new customers that decided to deal with me for their next purchases because I was available when they called.
Isn't that the greatest part? We've gained many new customers because we simply helped someone when they had a question. No, it's not always convenient, but it's the way we've always done things.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
Isn't that the greatest part? We've gained many new customers because we simply helped someone when they had a question. No, it's not always convenient, but it's the way we've always done things.
i have heard this complaint so many times, but in the end i hear lots of people make reference to " they helped me even though i didnt buy it from them, i will be taking my business there the next time"

and then there is the repetitive question caller, who over time establishes that he/she wont be buying anything and the vendor at some point must make the decision.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
and then there is the repetitive question caller, who over time establishes that he/she wont be buying anything and the vendor at some point must make the decision.
Isn't Caller ID the greatest thing? LOL

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
It is very hard for me to make that decision. I have people call all the time that will keep me on the phone for 30 minutes to an hour+ and not buy anything. Some people will do this a couple times a week and I have had some do this for a couple months at a time.

It is hard to deal with this and there has been MANY times I just want to say enough is enough. But I learned a long time ago to never count anyone out. Around 4 years ago I had a guy like this that drove me competely nuts for a couple months. I was just about to tell him to not call back but he surprised me one day and bought a package deal for 2 trucks that come to around $6000. Since then this guy has probably spent $20,000-30,000 with me on his company trucks and buying parts for his buddies trucks. And not only that, he has sent several other people my way.

If I would have tagged him as a deadbeat and cut him off in the beginning I would have lost a ton of sells. So I just deal with them all.;)

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
It is very hard for me to make that decision. I have people call all the time that will keep me on the phone for 30 minutes to an hour+ and not buy anything. Some people will do this a couple times a week and I have had some do this for a couple months at a time.

It is hard to deal with this and there has been MANY times I just want to say enough is enough. But I learned a long time ago to never count anyone out. Around 4 years ago I had a guy like this that drove me competely nuts for a couple months. I was just about to tell him to not call back but he surprised me one day and bought a package deal for 2 trucks that come to around $6000. Since then this guy has probably spent $20,000-30,000 with me on his company trucks and buying parts for his buddies trucks. And not only that, he has sent several other people my way.

If I would have tagged him as a deadbeat and cut him off in the beginning I would have lost a ton of sells. So I just deal with them all.;)
but you said a couple months...i was referring to a year or more..but again, that is the fine line you vendors have to walk. it must be nice to get a surprise like that. rewarding to say the least!

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
but you said a couple months...i was referring to a year or more..but again, that is the fine line you vendors have to walk. it must be nice to get a surprise like that. rewarding to say the least!
When you deal with someone like that for a couple months it sure can feels like a year...:doh:

It really is hard sometimes to keep from saying "are you going to buy anything or just waste my time everytime you call??"...

Now I will admit I may stay completely polite on the phone been sometimes I deffinantly have to vent once I hang up...:mad:

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
It happens to us too. Id imagine there are a few people from the forums that do it to all of us and we share them in common.

Ive had (have) one that still does it. Hes just a local dodge guy but in the beginning i went as far as giving him free stainless exhaust pipe i had laying around he could use for his twin setup, as well as spec out parts etc. i kept trying desperately to gain his business cause i had so much time invested in helping him. Needless to say after a year i was very frustrated. To this day the guy has still not spent a penny in our shop, but it seems like not a week goes by we dont get a new good customer referred to us by this guy. Very rewarding like Bigr said.

The most frustrating are the guys that call. You spend hours specking out a detailed build for them, down to every detail. You share this with them, only for them to call every other diesel business in the industry, hit up every ebay store, and find every map violator out there to call you back and say "hey i can buy these parts for this much, you can sell them to me for that or ill buy it from stores "x, y and z".

I took a lesson from BTS Brian. Anyone ever notice how hes always on a test drive to some people, yet others can ALWAYS get him on the phone? Guy is pure genius lol.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
The most frustrating are the guys that call. You spend hours specking out a detailed build for them, down to every detail. You share this with them, only for them to call every other diesel business in the industry, hit up every ebay store, and find every map violator out there to call you back and say "hey i can buy these parts for this much, you can sell them to me for that or ill buy it from stores "x, y and z".
Yup I have these all the time also.

In the beginning I would try and accomidate them to gain their business. But anymore I just tell them to go buy from the other place.

I may make my living doing this but I have learned there is no need to put up with BS from some of these people just to make a few bucks.

If you notice I rarely even respond to price request in the vendors forums and there is 2 reasons for this. The first one is the fact that we all are paying the same prices for these products and if we all abide by pricing policies then the first guy that responds should have the same pricing as the rest of us. The second reason is there are vendors here at DO NOT abide by those policies and for those that do it is useless to even try.

Some times it is not worth even putting out the effort and I have tried to figure out those times to save myself from wasting valuable time..

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
One way to fix that, remove your phone number from your website and only respond to serious customers via email,

Now, I know that won't work for most of you, but it's the BEST thing I did almost a year ago. I wasted so much time on the phone with those people it drove me nuts, so I pulled my phone number off my site.

And for some reason business has continued to be as busy as ever since doing that. All communications start via email, then after a few emails I'll include my number, or I'll call the customer when I have a chance and it doesn't interupt my shop time. The tire-kickers only send one email and it's done, the serious customers will keep asking questions and in the end I can follow up with a sale. It's worked surprising well for me.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Some interesting comments here. I'm not sure if I should be flattered, but I spent some time recently explaining tachometers for diesels and the associated sensor options, only to find out that the guy already ordered a "Brand A" tachometer, but they wouldn't answer his questions and he had heard that ISSPRO probably would. He did say that he would buy his sensor from us at least, and hopefully he remembers us when he buys more gauges.

Regards,
Michael Pliska

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
but again, that is the fine line you vendors have to walk. it must be nice to get a surprise like that. rewarding to say the least!
The fine line-agreed. Obviously it's a common occurrence. Sometimes a very fine line.
The criteria adopted from this experience is : If the language used to describe so and so's product was foul, and so's and so's products was very foul, and they bought an unknown rebuild elsewhere already too...The chances are they won't be satisfied with anything else they add to the present setup. The very fine line not walked: they don't and aren't ready to hear that. Just leave the door open, hope they notice you did. Hindsight: If not, a diplomat or public relations firm would have had the same result in this case.

Now I will admit I may stay completely polite on the phone been sometimes I deffinantly have to vent once I hang up...:mad:
As we say at times: "That sounds like a 427 SOHC race engine stuffed into a shirt and tie." ;) :D LOL Fortunately they could endure extended high rpm too... :D Wonder if Enzo Ferrari ever forgot the modified FE series Ford truck engine blocks he laughed at and later cried about. LOL A gentleman named Jim Mercer was on the 427 SOHC development team. He later joined Holman & Moody's racing teams' staff. Then spent his retirement years teaching part time at Ford's former District training center in Charlotte N.C. ;) "Watch this" was never boring. LOL
One way to fix that
The wisdom of the Jims... : )

Thanks All!~

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey guys,
Don't think for a second that this type of senario pertains only to individual customers. Not only do I have many people ask me about other companys products and who has the best one, I also recieve calls from other companys with questions regarding the test results on products that don't even relate to the industry they are involved in. Frustrating - YES! Time consuming - YES! Is this something new? No! This happens in every industry at every level. We just have to deal with it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
----- Original Message -----

To: <racerxpower.com>

Sent: Wednesday, July 14, 2010 10:37 AM

Subject: Contact from Racer X: '95 E40od 7.3L diesel(Urgent)

>
> Technical: '95 E40od 7.3L diesel
>
> I recently rebuilt mine and have run into a problem that I can't find an awnser to.
>
> The transmission feels like its mechanically bound up. When install in truck with engine off and gear selector in neutral, it won't roll. With engine on, it won't rev past 1200 rpms and every gear from park to 1st gear feel the same, "locked up". The fact that the problem occurs with and without power leads me to believe that I put something in wrong. The only think I can think is that I put a oneway sprag in backwards.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Can you tell me what direction each sprag is supposed to lock/spin as viewed from front of truck looking aft?
>
> Are there any trouble shooting steps I can do before I pull the tranny and tear it down to see what went wrong?
>
> Thanks for your time
> E*****
>
> Company Name:
> Full Name: E*****

> E-Mail Address: ******@uav.com
> Street Address: *********
> City: ***********
> State/Province: **
> Zip Code: *****
> Country: United States
> Telephone Number: ***-***-****

We have to be getting these well above average...:D

GAV.com is General Atomics Aeronautical Systems Inc, which is just one of General Atomics many Corporate Divisions.

General Atomics needs Racer X.... Very flattering in a way....:cool: :D

Surely General Atomics has a very well paid staff that could buy a rebuild....If not, maybe we should all consider adding a 1950's type bomb shelter in our backyards! :eek: LOL
Their about us page:
General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, Inc. (GA-ASI), an affiliate of privately-held General Atomics, is a leading manufacturer of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) and tactical reconnaissance radar, including the Predator UAS series and the Lynx SAR/GMTI sensor systems. The company is dedicated to providing long-endurance, mission-capable aircraft with the integrated sensor and datalink systems required to deliver persistent situational awareness and rapid strike capabilities. Couldn't find a free tech link anywhere for tactical strategic rapid strike capabilities. :D
Wonder if they have a radar & sensor system that would detect these inquires with rapid capabilities?

LOL Enjoy, and have a laugh! :D Wish this stuff was only once a day,,, it's not, may as well laugh and have fun with it. :redspotdance: :D

~

1 - 20 of 20 Posts