Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Torque Monger
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, how long should I wait to put my high h.p. tune on my new motor? New commonized long block and heads with ARP's installed and EGR block off. Eric sent me a mild tune so I can have tranny controls for my SunCoast tranny before it dies. It didn't like the stock Ford tune so much. Any ideas and thoughts anyone?

P

·
0 Posts
I would run some good rpms in the low HP tunes for about 500 miles, change the oil, then let er eat.

·
Laces Out
12,314 Posts
500 miles of up and down in the rpm's....but stay in the mild file to seat the rings...after 500 change the oil, then let it rip, just dont spray it.

·
Torque Monger
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooops... I've got right at 1K. I guess maybe time to change it huh? What does everyone run and love?

·
Torque Monger
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No spray now.... my balls are too small right now. I'm waiting to hit puberty on this truck before the NOS comes. Been there done that on many other rides.

P

·
0 Posts
I prefer DELO 400 for dino oil.
Rotella synth is good.
These two beat Rotealla 15-40 dino hands down in UOA results I've seen

·
Torque Monger
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't have an oil bypass YET. You think synth is worth it for me?

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Not really. The way a PSD shears down oil, it needs changed around 5K anyway. A bypass would be great for the wear factor, but without going extended drains syn isn't worth the money.

IMO go with DELO and change it on time.... should be a happy truck. :ford:

·
Torque Monger
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Anyone think I should switch to 10-30 or stay with 15-40? Remember I do live in HOT Fla. Should that make a difference? This oil will be changed WAY before winter. Any thoughts? :eek:

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Anyone think I should switch to 10-30 or stay with 15-40? Remember I do live in HOT Fla. Should that make a difference? This oil will be changed WAY before winter. Any thoughts? :eek:

Absolutely NOT, especially since you live in hot florida. The only ones who can get away with 10-30 are waaaay up north in AK, CA, etc.

I've seen crazy iron and wear numbers from 10-30 in a psd.

DONT DO IT

Stick with a good, proven oil like DELO 15-40

·
Registered
5,891 Posts
Try the Valvoline Premium Blue full synthetic 5w/40 I love it..its very expensive but I am doubling my oil change intervals.And it seemed to smooth out the engine You can get it at NAPA. they are about the only place that stocks it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Harrison,thanks for the refer over here.

where can this delo oil be bought? how much is it?
how much is the valvoline syn ? why such a low # 5? 40

I run redline racing syn in my supra but there is no way im paying that kinda $ for oil in a truck,especially one that takes 15 quarts

whats the deal with changing the oil filter and fuel filters in this thing. I bought them all at advance few days ago.and need to do it soon.I read somethign about priming them back online?

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
DELO? Where do you live? It's a little harder to come by back east for some reason... It's everywhere out here.

Try a chevron distributor.

·
Registered
6,652 Posts
Try the Valvoline Premium Blue full synthetic 5w/40 I love it..its very expensive but I am doubling my oil change intervals.And it seemed to smooth out the engine You can get it at NAPA. they are about the only place that stocks it.

Have you done oil analysis to make sure doubling your change intervals is not causing wear?

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Hey Harrison,thanks for the refer over here.

where can this delo oil be bought? how much is it?
how much is the valvoline syn ? why such a low # 5? 40

I run redline racing syn in my supra but there is no way im paying that kinda $ for oil in a truck,especially one that takes 15 quarts

whats the deal with changing the oil filter and fuel filters in this thing. I bought them all at advance few days ago.and need to do it soon.I read somethign about priming them back online?

I get my oil at wally martinez. I use rotella tho it is 8.88 AZ and Oreillys is 9-10.00 dollars a gallon. I buy it 3 cases at a time ,caterpiller in my KW takes 11 gallons, PSD takes 2.5-3 gallons if I run small cat filter for the oil.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

·
< pissed off pumkin.
1,880 Posts
Gotta love big trucks, I remember those days changing the oil in a friends Cat.

Dan

1 - 20 of 20 Posts