Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Thanks guys. Anyone know a good thread for head removal without pulling cab?
i found a real easy way to do mine...specially since i didnt have a lift...once i got the motor out of the truck it was cake haha......from what i learned you might be able to losen the body mounts and jack the cab up a little to get the studs outs...but im sure it would be a PIA

·
Recruit #211
113 Posts
You don't have to have a lift to pull the cab, we pulled the cab on our 04 with two forklifts and have seen it done with a single backhoe.

·
Registered
474 Posts
dang man 5k sounds horrible. My diesel mech quoted 4k and that includes all parts and sending the heads to get checked/machined. Although if the heads are bad.......... well thats gonna suck. But knock on wood at 160xxx miles its doing just fine.

·
'05 Excursion
1,948 Posts
Somewhere on a forum I read a guy jacked his engine up enough to remove the motor mounts then he lowered the engine back down in order to do the head gaskets.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I did the heads in my 03 6.0 in my drive way didn't pull the cab off or pull the engine. Just take the condenser off the passenger side and you get all the head bolts out and the studs in on that side and take the cab bolts out and jack up the cab with a floor jack on each side about 4inches to do the drivers side. You only have to lift the cab to get the back bottom head bolt out and the head stud in on the drivers side. It takes longer to get everything out of the way then it does to do the heads. It took me about eight hours total from start to finish to do my heads this way. I sent my heads to a machine shop cost $300 to have them check the heads for flat and straightness and magnaflux them. Note doing it this way you have to have your a/c system recharged once you have everything back together because you lose all your freeon when you take the condenser off. If you have any questions on specifics of how to do anything PM me

·
Gambled and Lost 6.oh
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I did the heads in my 03 6.0 in my drive way didn't pull the cab off or pull the engine. Just take the condenser off the passenger side and you get all the head bolts out and the studs in on that side and take the cab bolts out and jack up the cab with a floor jack on each side about 4inches to do the drivers side. You only have to lift the cab to get the back bottom head bolt out and the head stud in on the drivers side. It takes longer to get everything out of the way then it does to do the heads. It took me about eight hours total from start to finish to do my heads this way. I sent my heads to a machine shop cost $300 to have them check the heads for flat and straightness and magnaflux them. Note doing it this way you have to have your a/c system recharged once you have everything back together because you lose all your freeon when you take the condenser off. If you have any questions on specifics of how to do anything PM me
8 hours?! definitely might try this myself if thats the case? I did egr delete myself, cant be much harder?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Where in Missouri are ya?

Get a engine block tester from napa and that will tell you for sure if your gaskets are gone.

BTS in northern AR will do studs for right around $3k and they are well known for quality work.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I guess it doesn't matter since I hace egr delete that my eot and ect delta are dearly the same temp
just get a block tester from Napa, you put in your degas bottle and it tells if there are exhaust gasses in there.

btw BTS (brains truck shop) is only about 4hrs from KC

I live in KC also:ford:

·
Registered
130 Posts
I got a Ford Diesel tech who works on mine. Hes doing new oil cooler, egr delete, 6.4 banjo bolts, blue fuel spring and fixing oil leak also new thermostat and labor he said will cost me $550-$600 I suppling all the parts hes in Topeka.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts