Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first diesel. 04 f250 and have the 6.0. Ive heard many different things about how long between oil changes. I talked to a local diesel shop who said if I run amsoil I can go 20,000 miles. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I wouldnt wait that long. I think 6.0s have a 5k interval but I'm not 100% on this.

I dont use amsoil, because a dumba$$ I used to work with used it, and my motto is to do the opposite of that guy.

·
Diesel Sled Head
1,101 Posts
I recommend not more than 5000 no matter what kind of oil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
id change at 5k take an oil sample and get a anylasis done. they will tell you if you can extend or of you need to shorten

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've used Amsoil before, will not do it again. Did not last anywhere near 20,000 miles.

I was recommended to use Rotella T 15W-40 every 5,000.

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
I have a 7.3 and run Valvoline blue 15W-40 and change it every 4-5k You could probably do Amsoil with there weird oil filter bypass kit (not to sure what it is) and run longer then 5k

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
NO. 20k is FAR to long unless you have some super filtration system.
the 6.0s are VERY finicky when it comes to the engine oil. I would do 3-5k intervals. Oil is cheap, engines/injectors are NOT. Also Fuel filter every other oil change

·
aint scard
15 Posts
NO. 20k is FAR to long unless you have some super filtration system.
the 6.0s are VERY finicky when it comes to the engine oil. I would do 3-5k intervals. Oil is cheap, engines/injectors are NOT. Also Fuel filter every other oil change
:whs:

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts
Would you change the fuel filter on a 7.3 every other oil change too?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I use Rotela 5w40 sycn. 7K sent sample to Blackstone Lab. They told me to go 8 or 9k as the TBN# was still at 4 #1 being low. starts up much better in cold weather also.

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Just bought my first diesel. 04 f250 and have the 6.0. Ive heard many different things about how long between oil changes. I talked to a local diesel shop who said if I run amsoil I can go 20,000 miles. Does this sound right?
Per the factory manual 6.0s have 5000/7500 mile OCI depending on operating conditions. Many people change around 5k or so due to shear. Depending on operating conditions it is not uncommon for even conventional oils to maintain long OCIs without issue. The recommended normal oil change interval for the 03-07 5.9 CR engines was 15k. Now the 7.3 and 6.0 are a bit of a different animal due the high pressures of the HPOP...these engines beat the oil up a bit more than lets say a Cummins or a Dmax.

If your not doing UOAs I would just change on a 5 or a 7.5k interval..whatever your comfortable with. Personally, I run my 7.3 for 5-7.5k and I change my fuel filter every 15k.

·
The Sound Of Madness
956 Posts

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts

·
Exploding the magma
581 Posts
Sounds like I was given false info. Thanks for the help.
Not necessarily false just not applicable to all applications.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts