Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everytime i get gas i hand calculate total mileage since last fill up divided by total gallons filled. For the last 26k,since new, ive been getting 11.8-12.9 but the last two fill ups show 15.1 mpg and today 16.1....... Huh? Not complaining but that's huge. Just finally breaking in? Did the math three times, no errors.

·
Registered
602 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
If the DPF has a crack in it, it could let more soot pass the filter and not stop it up. That could cause less regen, therefore better MPG. If you really want to get some good mileage, delete the DPF.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just think you aren't getting a complete fill, but this should not be a factor after several fills. If you don't get a complete fill (my '09 will take 3 gals after clicking off) that will throw mpg off--but after the 2nd or 3rd fills, that would even out.
If you keep getting that kind of mileage, we need to clone your truck.
Joe

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My math is correct. I fill up until it clicks off then add 3 gallons to top it off. It cant be wrong! Getting fuel again today, will advise outcome!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Filled up again, third time and i got 15.86 mpg today. Was rather hard on it this week too. Still no idea what's causing this! Suppose it's just breaking in fnally!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hardly ever, might have noticed 5 times in 25k miles. Thing runs awesome, strong and smooth. Why?

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
If the DPF has a crack in it, it could let more soot pass the filter and not stop it up. That could cause less regen, therefore better MPG. If you really want to get some good mileage, delete the DPF.

Right here. If I was you I would take it in for warranty. Once they correct the problem loose the dpf and sell it. They are going for 500-800 dollars used. On my duramax I gained 4mpg by just doing a DPF delete.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Keeping it stock! If the dpf has a crack ( highly doubt it but ok) and it doesnt regen all the better! Bonus, get to keep it stock, have warranty and 16+ mpg.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Right here. If I was you I would take it in for warranty. Once they correct the problem loose the dpf and sell it. They are going for 500-800 dollars used. On my duramax I gained 4mpg by just doing a DPF delete.
Why are guys buying them used? Interesting?

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
Why are guys buying them used? Interesting?
There is platinum and other valuable metals in them. Will not void all of your warranty either. :psn:

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2010 was getting pretty much the same numbers as you stock. I actually think my mileage went down after the programmer only bc my I find my foot buried in the throttle alot more. If you do have a dpf problem which I doubt you do, the tips of ur exhaust would be full of soot.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No, ford dealer just confirmed it's all fine. I'm just wondering how i got a 40% increase in one week.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm starting to think it has to do with idling or lack thereof. I 'm really doing my best not to nowadays.

·
Registered
140 Posts
There's no way I could own a 6.4 & not do delete & tunes! Let that truck breathe & you'll probably see 20 mpg & your motor will thank you.

·
Registered
29 Posts
contact your ford dealership and ask the service department if the dpf delete will void your warranty, they will tell you no. The only thing they will not cover would be the exhaust system since it would be aftermarket and not their parts to warranty. They (the dealership service department) want your business, want to do warranty work as they get paid for it. The dpf delete will give you even more mpg and is worth it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts