Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have to pull my trans how hard is it and how long does it take? Special tools? Any tips? Thanks in advance, Roger.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
it isnt much of a problem with a 3 ton floor jack and an extra pair or 2 of hands... IIRC there are no "specialty tools" involved.. just disconect your driveshafts and bring the tranny and transfer case down together

·
Davey B
930 Posts
Atv jack works pretty good, but you can use a normal floor jack to. Try and find a buddy to help ya out. If its your first time pulling 1 it'll take you a little longer, but its really not that bad of a job. Have a few extensions on hand to get to the upper bellhousing bolts. Also, when i do it, i usually drop the tranny and t-case as 1 and seperate them once its all on the ground. If you have any ?'s feel free to pm me and i'll try and get them answered for ya as fast as possible. Good luck

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
ive always seperated them, but that is just the way i found was the most easy for me.

never heard of the atv jack but it sounds like a good ide to try!

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
An ATV jack is amazing for pulling a trans. No more balancing act. I have pulled/installed/rebuilt many transmissions over the years and an ATV jack which had never occured to me before it was suggested is in my opinion better than a trans jack adapter setup for a floor jack. Extremely stable. You should always seperate the t-case from the trans when pulling or installing the trans simply due to the added weight and the fact that the offset of the t-case will make the trans try to flip to the side.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Do not seperate it getting it back in is a pain that way, the t-case is not light puppy. I did mine that way and damn near blew a nut trying to get the t-case back in, wouldnt sit right in the jack. I do sugest at least 3 to 4 ft of extensions in order to reach the upper bell houseing bolts. The job only took me 2 hours out and 1.5 back in. Also pay attention to the slector cable, as thy are diffrent between the PTO trans and the NON PTO. You will also want to flush your trans cooler to make sure that all the old shaveings are out of the system. While your doing the trans now would be a good time to put a trans gauge in and always go with the deep pan, helps trans temps. Good luck

·
Registered
267 Posts
Also if you are looking for a TC take a look at ARI Industries, ask for Tom he has billet triple disk TCs special order though $400. Bought one my self No issues.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My trans is a manual, but thanks for the advice. It`s grinding in 3rd gear pretty bad and sometimes in fourth. I have another trans in the parts truck and a new clutch in the parts truck. I will probably be swapping them out real soon. Thanks Roger.

·
"Miss me yet" George Bush
317 Posts
The offset of the t-case will make it try to roll off of a flor jack so be careful of that. I place a ratchet strap across the frame rails under the trans so if it falls then the straps catch it. If you use this method it can be done by yourself, but is not recommended.

·
Registered
797 Posts
I think it took me 3 to 4 hours to take mine off, working by myself. The lengthiest time as I recall was getting those bolts off the crossmember brackets. I kept the tranny and TC together and used a transmission jack from HF but didn't secure it properly, the transmission rolled off (slowly) as I lowered it to the floor.

It takes me slightly longer to do anything because I must keep my tools in the house but I work under a large separate carport a ways away, so if I need anything else I've got to get up and walk a minute or two.

Going back in took all weekend, but I had complications...one of the U-joint end caps came off despite my tape around it and I lost a needle bearing, had to buy a new U joint. And the clutch didn't want to bleed. And I was doing turbo pedestal weldup and up-pipe donuts and an E-fuel system all at the same time.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I drop the transfer case off on my chest if doing one on the ground, it definately helps to seperate them as the t case makes it very unstable. I also put a stud in the top adaptor bolt hole and put the t case back up the same way I pulled it out. The trans weather a stick or auto I do use a jack for those bastages are heavy. :D

·
I like turtles
2,604 Posts
If truck is not lifted drive truck onto 6 inch blocks to give you more room underneath

·
Registered
16 Posts
yeah its no fun I just finished putting mine back in,now I have a bad feeling I might have to pull it back out. I defiantly recommend having help, I just upgraded from the dreaded dual mass flywheel to a solid, talk about heavy, I thought I dropped a nut trying to put it in by my self

1 - 14 of 14 Posts