Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people post about how their 6.0 tows like a beast and they don't even feel the 15k pound goose neck load they're pulling. Are they full of BS? Exaggerating? Or just extremely oblivious to how their truck feels?

With my 6.0, I can feel slightly my empty open top car trailer. Weighs about 2k pounds. I can definitely feel it when I'm towing a car on my car trailer, so maybe about 5k pounds? And I can definitely feel it when I tow my car on my car trailer with all my gear, a full tank of fuel, and myself and a passenger.

I just took a load to the dump, and I'd guess maybe about 1000-1200 pounds in the bed? I could feel the difference from driving to the dump, to driving back home completely unloaded.

Am I just over aware of how my truck feels? It's not like my truck becomes a slow underpowered slug while towing. But it's definitely not like there's nothing behind me when I'm towing. I know what slow is, I towed maybe 6k with another 1200 in gear in a 5.7L suburban and that was definitely slow and struggling.

·
EA - Eggfarts Anonymous!
18,844 Posts
I hear ya! I felt that way about hauling payloads in my 6.0 until I added load supports in place of the rear bump stops. I think it reduced body roll and sag enough that it feels the same loaded or unloaded now. that's with a 1,000 to 1,500 pound pallet in the bed. my springs are pretty weak as it is though.

though, my dad's old DRW 6.0 with 4.10s & stiff-ass springs really did walk the walk while towing a good 10k. I'm sure my SRW with 3.73s would not feel nearly as strong doing that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm, perhaps it's all in the diff gearing. I also have a SRW 3.73 and I've always wondered how a dually with the 4.10's would tow

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've owned my F350 dually with 4.10 gears since it was new. When I tow my empty enclosed trailer that weighs about 2,000 pounds I hardly notice it. When I put the 2,400 pound car in the trailer, it really feels like I've hitched up to a 5,000 pound load. I know its back there, especially when pulling away from stop. On an interstate road with substantial hills, I definitely know the loaded trailer is behind me. I run an SCT custom tune and have a FICM tune.

I'd like to ride in the guy's truck pulling 15,000 pounds who doesn't know its back there!

·
Registered
64 Posts
I sometimes think my truck hauls my 40ft 5th wheel better than my 18ft car trailer with a car. Never had a truck that seems to struggle getting its own butt up a hill but will eat that same hill at 27k pounds.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have a 7400lb camper and can feel it when towing.

Truck has been fully bulletproofed and tuned. If you're hauling that kind of weight you're going to feel it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Well, back in 2009/2010 I had the privilege of borrowing a 2008 F550. At the time we had a 9000 lb Prowler travel trailer bumper pull. I loaded that camper with all our stuff and then some.

I can honestly say that I never felt the camper back there. I used the truck at least a half dozen times driving more than 4 hours from home.

I remember pulling into one of the camp grounds and the green police asking me why I have to use such a big truck for my camper. I simply said, "I just like using a sledge hammer to kill flies."

True story.

·
Master BS'er
5,931 Posts
Well, back in 2009/2010 I had the privilege of borrowing a 2008 F550. At the time we had a 9000 lb Prowler travel trailer bumper pull. I loaded that camper with all our stuff and then some.

I can honestly say that I never felt the camper back there. I used the truck at least a half dozen times driving more than 4 hours from home.

I remember pulling into one of the camp grounds and the green police asking me why I have to use such a big truck for my camper. I simply said, "I just like using a sledge hammer to kill flies."

True story.
My buddy said the best rig he's ever towed with was a 6.4, and he would know. Don't think he's towed with a 6.7 yet though. I'm sure those are even better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I sometimes think my truck hauls my 40ft 5th wheel better than my 18ft car trailer with a car. Never had a truck that seems to struggle getting its own butt up a hill but will eat that same hill at 27k pounds.
We certainly have different trucks. Without a trailer connected, my truck will eat any hill in its path, without straining.

The variety of responses to this thread is interesting.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Sorry guys.. you can't tell me that 0-60 is the same when towing as it is without pulling a 7-8k trailer.

I don't care what you have.. 6.0, 6.4, 6.7..etc.

I think the perspective is different.. that's all.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,946 Posts
I can feel my 7500 lb camper for sure. However I have never needed more than 1/2- 2/3 throttle even on steep grades to maintain or increase speed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a 97 7.3 with 4:10 and that was a dog compared to my stock 6.0. I even had bigger injectors and IC in the 7.3 but that extra gear and VGT really help the 6.0 tow. I haul a 40ft 5th wheel loaded and as long as we are going 65mph the engine is good and hot it goes into 5th and just hauls. My biggest problem is it seems no one can drive 65+ and I’m thinking of 4:10s. For this truck towing right at the max it does very good, and mpg is great also. It makes you wander what the new trucks are like with 1000 ft pounds of torque. Hell with my little 6.0 I feel the axle wrap up pulling away at a light surprised the new trucks don’t drop the u-joint.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I deffinetly feel our 36’ Toyhauler. Its 13K dry and right at 16K loaded with quads and supplies.

Cant afford to replace the truck yet, but I’ll be buying a 7.3 gasser when they come out instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts