Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so me and my dad get into this "argument" almost everyday. How does putting a chip/programmer on a diesel, which techically provides more fuel to the injectors, make a truck get better fuel mileage. School me please on everything that is related to this matter. I want to prove my dad wrong... haha.

And I posted in Smack Talk so Charles can join the convo... :poke:

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
when you add the chip your truck does the same amount of work while using less power to do it...in a nut shell. Someone else can give a more technical explanation

·
Registered
360 Posts
When they are tuned at the factory, they have to follow emission standards. The converter is unlocked a lot to prevent lugging and pass the EPA smog for that model year. When you get a tune, the tuner generally locks the converter after 2nd and 37mph and doesn't care about tuning for emissions. The lock up keeps all the torque transferred to the drivetrain rather than pissing it away in the TC. There's other changes in the injector PW and ICP that can enhance economy as well that the stock flashes don't utilize. If you do a lot of stop and go, you aren't going to see the mileage gain that some claim in their tunes.

·
Bushwacker
269 Posts
I am currently going to technical school for diesel and what my assumption is is that with our style fuel system which is the Heui system. (Hydrualic Electronic Unit Injector) it programs the computer for more oil pressure to drive the injector. This causes the fuel to be sprayed with more pressure as well as making it much more atomized causing a more efficient combustion; ultimately helping the fuel economy. now if im correct the chip does'nt neccesarily add fuel to the mix during normal driving. but makes for more fuel when your foot is heavier on the accelerator.

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Things like a better flowing intake and exhaust, when coupled with a custom tune and conservative driving, will equal better mileage.

You're increasing the engine's efficiency, which in turn will increase power, decreasing the amount of fuel needed to move the same amount of weight, the same distance, in the same amount of time.

Get it?

Dave

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
I am currently going to technical school for diesel and what my assumption is is that with our style fuel system which is the Heui system. (Hydrualic Electronic Unit Injector) it programs the computer for more oil pressure to drive the injector. This causes the fuel to be sprayed with more pressure as well as making it much more atomized causing a more efficient combustion; ultimately helping the fuel economy. now if im correct the chip does'nt neccesarily add fuel to the mix during normal driving. but makes for more fuel when your foot is heavier on the accelerator.

There's your answer.

More ICP, more timing and less PW(fuel) when driving like normal. And as was stated by someone else, the factory usually doesn't do this sort of thing because of EPA restrictions.

Which just points out how ass-backward the EPA is. We need to reduce these "special" emissions by jacking up the total emissions amount by burning more fuel for every mile traveled.

·
Registered
433 Posts
will running stock exhaust with a chip give worst mpgs?? I recently removed my banks chip to see if i would gain mpgs back? I did!! drove the truck like a grandma in both chipped and not chipped, and got better mpgs with out it!! again im running stock exhaust and stock injectors!! Thanks!!

·
I helped make ur rimz....
619 Posts
chuck the banks chip, get one tuned my tony wildman, better intake and exhaust, get a bed cover, these should help. oh and stage 1 injectors are supposed to increase MPG's iirc

·
Registered
433 Posts
ok! Ill put that on honey do list! thanks!!

·
Science rulz
1,424 Posts
They're constantly nagging about running out of fuel, but using more fuel to reduce the output of not too dangerous Co2, then slap on the silly DPF just to increase the output of Co2 again to avoid NoX, just makes it all seem like slush.

Or was it NoX that increased with the DPF, can't remember.

In my world, an engine burning less fuel at it's max efficiency will put out less "dangerous" stuff. This might not be true, but I like to think that it's so.

·
Registered
221 Posts
MORE fuel.......MORE mileage

makes sense LOL

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have to take my previous post back about getting worst mpgs with the chip! plan and simple I cant ADD or Subtract very well! my truck gets around 15 Mpg with or with out the chip!

·
Caption This
4,258 Posts
Okay, so me and my dad get into this "argument" almost everyday. How does putting a chip/programmer on a diesel, which techically provides more fuel to the injectors, make a truck get better fuel mileage. School me please on everything that is related to this matter. I want to prove my dad wrong... haha.

And I posted in Smack Talk so Charles can join the convo... :poke:
They get better mileage because the overhead display says they do.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
They get better mileage because the overhead display says they do.
LOL.. yeah mine reads around 28mpg, but in pen it's usually between 16-18

1 - 18 of 18 Posts