Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that going taller and higher obviously equals lower MPGs. My truck came with what one may call a leveling kit.. Maybe 1.5" blocks between the axles and leafes. If I were to drop it by that much to stock height would I see much better than 18-19 hwy MPGs? What if I went even lower.. How do you go lower without affecting payload and towing capabilities?

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a Ford bus for years. I used it to pull an enclosed trailer for years, and I had regular trips to the same locations. I put on larger tires to lower the overall gear ratio, which additionally raised the overall height (in addition to making the tires heavier). I did loose MPG even though at the same speed my RPM's were lower.

Dave Whittmer can probably answer more questions about dropping while not affecting payload, or at least reducing that affect. Might want to search some of his posts here.

·
1,084 Posts
Dropping my truck 4" in the front and 6" in the rear gained me 1.5 MPG with no other mods. Riding lower it corners a lot better but is still a pickup truck - not a Corvette.

Air bags in the rear.recover your load-carrying capabilities.

Lowering the truck caused no alignment issues.

I don't think a 4x4 can be "slammed" (to use sport truck parlance). My truck is a 4x2.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dropping my truck 4" in the front and 6" in the rear gained me 1.5 MPG with no other mods. Riding lower it corners a lot better but is still a pickup truck - not a Corvette.

Air bags in the rear.recover your load-carrying capabilities.

Lowering the truck caused no alignment issues.

I don't think a 4x4 can be "slammed" (to use sport truck parlance). My truck is a 4x2.
Yes just at glance lowering in the front is definitely going to be difficult. I don't think it could drop any more than an inch before stuff starts colliding. With a 1.5 mpg increase on a 4x2 dropping 4 inches I don't think my 4x4 would gain much from a drop to be worth doing. But air bags for the rear do interest me.. Does it help with ride quality loaded or not? I've got an air compressor in my truck that can do 100psi (not sure of the rate) what would a setup like that run with my own (easily upgradeable) compressor?

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,488 Posts
I have Firestone ride rite air bags in the rear of my EX love them makes a big difference in leveling while towing my boat with 7 ppl in the truck and overall ride quality. Couldn't be happier.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have Firestone ride rite air bags in the rear of my EX love them makes a big difference in leveling while towing my boat with 7 ppl in the truck and overall ride quality. Couldn't be happier.
7 people? Sounds like a party. I'm def looking into this considering I have the air supply figured out already

·
"Slap hands slap hands"
1,488 Posts
7 people? Sounds like a party. I'm def looking into this considering I have the air supply figured out already
Check on eBay that where I got mine for a reasonable price and shipped fast. Yep 7 sometimes 8 that why I went with the excursion for the lake and towing the boat and not a pick up. And it's a hell of a party LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts