Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I literally cant figure out how to do it. i have all the tools for it. i cant find any lowering hole or anything. im not stuck on the road or anything, so theres no rush for an answer.\

thanks guys,

brandon

·
Loud pipes save lives
311 Posts
Its held up by a bar that is most likely rusted in under the rear tank. Theres no hole in the bumper like superdutys There should a bolt with an eyelet on the end

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
There is an "EYE" bolt on the passenger side, right back by the bumper.

Loosen said eye bolt with the tire iron of large screwdriver(I would spray the speed clop with large amount of PB BLASTER 1st)

After you have the eye bolt loosened about 5-10 revolutions, turn it so it will fit thru the slot in the hanger. then take your tire iron and put it in the round tube on the end of the hanger next to the eye bolt.

Now pick up on the tire iron, which will pick up on the hanger and tire. Once the hanger is no longer resting on the eye bolt, push the eye bolt in line with the slot in the hanger. Now lower the hanger over top the eye bolt. the hanger will now rest on the ground on one side.

Next, you need to loosen the giant plastic nut holding the tire to the hanger. The DRAG the tire out form under the truck. it is a stupid design.

Even if you dont need the tire, it is a good idea to take it down and lube all the moving parts so when you do need it it is not seized in place

·
Loud pipes save lives
311 Posts
Mine has so much rust it took 45 minutes and a 4 foot pry bar to get it out. I just leave it out now

·
Registered
166 Posts
I really HATE the spare carrier on these things. I was so happy when I got rid of my last one.....and now I have two more of them.:eek::doh:

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
In the stock configuration I used to cover the threads with anti sieze paste then slide a piece of split hose over the threads to keep the dust/dirt off...then reapply annually. On sig truck I installed an older chain type tire hoist from an '80 Toyota Pu. I bolted the hoist mechanism to the passenger side end of ford tire rack (after removing threaded eye bolt) then installed a small hook that attaches to the frame where the eye bolt used to be. Slide tire on rack and crank it up!! The loose chain lays inside the tire rack under the spare...

jrc

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ill try to lower it this weekend or something. The tire is in bad shape anyways.

·
Registered
3,406 Posts
If you have to cut one of the vertical rods make sure it's the driver's side as you can replace with inexpensive threaded ready rod and some nuts at either end, unless of course the Eye bolt on is seized....
Dealership wants arm/leg for eye bolt one last time I checked.

jrc

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
just wanted to update you guys on the tire drop. I dropped it yesterday, and it wasnt too bad actually. It was easy because i didnt use the jack and lug wrench that came with the truck.:D I used flat head screw driver and a 1/2" drive ratchet for the other bolt. Other than that, pulled it down, in bad shape i might add, threw some anti seize on the bolts and slapped it back up. not bad. Thanks for your help once again boys!! :psn::ford::psn:

·
Registered
817 Posts
Don't make the mistake of letting a Les Schwab store take it down for you. The morons did not use any lube at all (which seems to be their SOP - no lube while bending you over), and they used a crescent wrench and vice grips on the plastic nut and chewed the hell out of it. Don't get me started about that trip to Les Schwab, but after the store manager tried to tell me my truck was not leaving their store unless I bought 6 new tires, let's just say it was not a friendly exchange. The rear tires that they claimed were damaged and needed to be replaced have run another 15k miles at nearly rated load without an issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts