Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

How do you get to this fuel filter?

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Jax 
#1 ·
My truck slowly lost power and eventually died. I was towed to my house by a bowtie truck. I have a feeling this filter hasn't been changed since the first Bush administration.

So I watch a youtube video on how to change it, simple. Use a wrench and open the fuel filter vessel. Except when I go to change mine, mine doesn't have a place to put a wrench, mine looks like this.

How do you get that thing off? I've tried everything, even broke a strap wrench. Can someone help? Is there a special tool I'm not aware of?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Hmm I see what you did there. You might be on to something. I don't have pliars that large. I will get some if I have to but anyone have any other ideas? I already have one great one but I don't have the tool. I'll get it if I have to though. Being towed home by a bow tie truck was embarrassing enough.

#4 ·
There are other designs out there and NAPA or Autozone may even carry a wrench that fits the lids.

If it hasn't been off in quite a while it may be welded to the rubber gasket

Here is one on Amazon

#5 ·
There are other designs out there and NAPA or Autozone may even carry a wrench that fits the lids.

If it hasn't been off in quite a while it may be welded to the rubber gasket

Here is one on Amazon

Thanks. I'm a truck driver so I won't be here when it arrives but I'll get to it when I return. I just ordered one!

#7 ·
DO NOT hit that plastic cap. It needs slow torque to unscrew - not impact.

#14 ·
The filter should have nothing to do with the fuel pump.

Have you checked the inertia switch in the passenger kick panel?
I second the opinion the filter has zero to do with the fuel pump. The fuel pump is on the frame, under the driver's seat approximately.

First, you should check the fuel filter every three months or so, and change it every 5k miles. YMMV

Second, make sure you thoroughly clean out the fuel filter housing. Once everything is clean, put some clean diesel in it, about half full. Carefully insert the filter and cap it. I like to put some silicon grease on the cap threads - very lightly.

Third - check the fuel filter after a hundred miles. If it is black again, you have oil in your fuel! You have either an injector leaking oil into the fuel rail, or someone failed to clean the tank after a like issue was fixed. I had to drop my tank, empty it completely, and use a pressure washer to clean it out.

Maybe the blown fuse is why your truck died? Perhaps the fuel pump overloaded and blew the fuse?

#15 ·
This was my brand new fuel filter after about 250 miles.

Post 1774

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.