Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys. got a good friend who just installed a D66 on his truck. his current list of mods is as follows-- 96 2WD F250 auto, 6637, guages, two trans coolers, 3 1/2" DP-4" exhaust, FS2500 oil bypass filter, D66 turbo, 6 position TW, 99 IC, syn oil, Elec fuel pump, adrenaline HPOP, 140v IDM, rear disks, Baby Beans Injectors, 203*, the 'cure', dieselsite's trans & radiator filter & Firestone air bags, thermostatically controlled aux oil cooler

he uses the truck to tow his 5er around. Before the D66 install it towed pretty good, but sometimes would get hot enough on long steep grades that he was in 2nd gear at the top of the grade. Now, after the D66 install w/ brass up pipe donuts it gets hot enough that he is down to 1st gear at the top of some of these grades. He is using Tony's tunes and he did not get a reburn after the D66, yet, and i don't see why he would really need a reburn from this turbo install on such a mild setup(Baby beans injectors). with his setup i think it SHOULD be a pulling SOB and almost never get hot, but i could be wrong here. He did put in the brass donuts, but he has a small leak b/c he hasn't taken the time to do a retorque on them. Hopefully waiting to do the retorque hasn't ruined his donuts, but he is going to try to retorque them soon.

So does anybody have any idea on why his truck would be getting so hot towing like this? it's a 15k 5er and i'm not sure which tow tune he has from Tony. I don't know how big his up pipe leak is, but i know that's contributing to his high EGTs, but would that be enough to cause this big of a change?? thanks guys

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
what kind of boost is he seeing? may have a boost leak my D66 and baby swamps tow like a champ.

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
I agree with Cratos some idea on what boost was before and after would be good information esp if the only change in that step was the charger. Show him how to build a boost leak detector. Does he have good ICP?

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Home depot or lowes is your freind for all the parts to build your boost leak checker.

·
look what i can do
1,833 Posts
okay i might be stupid on this but what size are "baby beans" i know baby swamps so is what ur considering a baby bean stage 1's or tranny savers?

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
okay i might be stupid on this but what size are "baby beans" i know baby swamps so is what ur considering a baby bean stage 1's or tranny savers?
My bet is trans savers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
is the raadiator getting hot too?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
The baby beans that Travis is talking about is 130cc injectors.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ya what he is calling "Baby Beans" must be tranny savers or something. they are smaller than the 160cc stage 1's i had. I'm finding out before and after boost pressures right now. will report back on that. the only 2 things that were done was the aftermarket oil cooler(which in turn raised oil pressure 10psi across the board) and the D66 w/ brass donuts. ICP should be good, but i told him to check that as well, but haven't heard back yet. Basically what i told him before the start of this thread was check ICP, retorque the uppies, and build a boost leak detector which i already showed him how to build. i know they are easy to build and cheap too!! found mine to be leaking from the intake plenums like crazy. LOL

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
My bet is leaking uppies or boost leak.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My bet is leaking uppies or boost leak.
well we do already know that he didn't retorque the uppies after installing the brass donuts and it IS leaking a fuzz there, but he said it's not much at all. we will see once he fixes that, but i'm wondering if he needed to reburn the chip or if this is purely from the turbo setup somewhere whether it be from the uppies, the IC system or the intake plenums. my bet has been on the uppies and plenums, but y'all deal with these D66's more than i do so i didn't know if he shoulda gotten Tony to reburn his chip.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it wouldn't let me edit the last post, but he said that his boost numbers are the same as they were before the turbo swap...

·
Registered
871 Posts
I didn't see that he was running an intercooler is he?

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Auto or stick?
Doubtful its the turbo it self, I tow a 10k 5th wheel ,it tows better in my
120R Tune (400hp+ ) than the 60 Tow tune. A little smoky if under 1500rpm's, runs around 600 on the pyro - flat ground interstate speed. Pulling over some of the passes around here need to keep the R's up holds 50+ mph
@ less than 1200* .02

·
Registered
871 Posts
Look around the intake plenums for a boost leak that is probably the most common spot that I have found.

·
Wheelie Dude
2,126 Posts
Has an intercooler and has crazy egts with that setup? Come on somethin is wrong somewhere. Only thing that can cause high egts in the turbo itself is a bent shaft that slowed the shaft speed down, but with a bent shaft it would not last long and would be harder to spin even by hand. Highly unlikly at this point.

Fix up pipe for sure. intakes may have a leak or didnt get one of the orange boots back on reall good and leakin there maby.

We have trucks running that same exact setup only with our tunes and with Stage 2 injs and there are no worries with the pyro.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
:whs:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts