Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Had this idea after hearing so many people bad-mouth the use of the mini-spring packs on ebay. But there's not much to these, and if some of them aren't even made of spring steel (if someone could explain the difference to me, I'd really appreciate it), what's stopping me from throwing some plates together drilling a hole through them, and slapping them under my spring? So I'm looking for reasons and answers to the following questions.

Is there any support added to the existing leafs by going with some official DR pack as opposed to an ebay spring pack? Do the ebay types (plate steel from what I've heard) have any arch to them at all? If not, and I could fab some up on my own, what thickness steel do they utilize? Thanks in advance. And to please all the professionals out there, the $100 saved from building them myself would be put towards an adjustable track bar. Looking forward to the info in the professionally done VS. home made spring pack debate that is to come.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys - thanks for the response so far. I posted this thread on a couple other forums, and apparently they're a little more "by the book" then guys around here. I honestly haven't seen too much pointing out there would be anything wrong with this, so I'm willing to consider it a little more.

dadozer - what size plate steel did you use? How long was the smallest leaf that you cut? Just wondering what caused the price to be that much... you said close to $100 - that's about what the maxx-lift ones are on ebay?

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Farm Boy - read your other thread, and I was just wondering what all you've had to do to run that 5" of front lift. You said add-a-leaf and shackle kit, and 1" block. You would have had to get longer shocks, right? What other modifications have you done to the front to run that 5" of lift? What do you have in the rear too? Thanks in advance.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Any track bar adjustments new adjustable one or drop bracket for it? Any other longer components brake lines, etc? Or did basically all you do is new shocks all the way around from the added lift of the hanger, add-a-leaf, and blocks front and rear? By the way - what size blocks (and type of blocks) did you use in the rear? Thanks again for you help.

Last thing - if that was all you've done (shocks and nothing else with the lift), how long has it been on your truck, and have you noticed any adverse effects from it. Thanks in advance for your wonderful help you've been providing.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Duplicated Post - Firefox messed up and had to restart in the middle of posting - my apologies.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
So nothing but ~5" lift and shocks, huh, and it ran for 50K with no problems? I just wanted to make double sure. One more question for you though - you said you would definitely do a trac bar relocate bracket this time around though. Why is that - what makes this time around different than before? Thanks again. Do you remember where you got the rear block?

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Good deal - thanks so much for your help.

Still looking forward to pictures from dadozer.

Thanks again.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
dadozer - Wow, that's a clear picture. Lol. We all get the idea though. Thanks for throwing it up. Do you remember where you got your u-bolts? Do you know what type of shop Chappy was talking about that will bend U-bolts? And lastly, how wide was the steel that you bought and does it need to be a particular strength/grade steel or just any steel will work? Thanks again for your help.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Wow - that's pretty cheap then. I thought the bottom leaf would be about 6 inches long and then 8", 10", and 12". That's 3' a side for 6', and then I think I'm gonna add 1 plate to the rear along with a 4" block replacing my 2" block. All the plate will be 3/4 (cheaper) and works out better numbers wise. An 8' section should be just around 50 bucks. That will add 3" to the front, and 2.75" to the rear reducing my stock 1.5" rake to 1.25". What do I need to know about centering pins? Where did you get them? Thanks again.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yeah, I can wait a while, and if you want to retake that picture, that'd be great too. If not, I understand the idea, I'd just like to see details of it put together. Thanks again for the help.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
dadozer - by the way, if you haven't gotten that measurement yet, could you throw a tape to your shortest cut leaf too. I just want to know the exact length plate I'm gonna need. Thanks again.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Could I get length U-bolts that I'll need for the front and rear? Front - I measured about 8 and 9 (with about 1" of thread showing), maybe, so I'm thinking they'll have to be about 12" long each. Are they round or semi-round? The rears are about 12" now (again about 1" threads showing) with a 2 5/8" block, so I'm thinking 15" for them? Could anyone get some length measurements of the U-bolts that I'd need and they'd be 3 5/8" width, right... Both axles are 3.5" wide and then a little more to clear them? Thanks again in advance.

· Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Bump - Still need to know what dimensions I'm looking for. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.