Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen that there are many different options(mirror, visor, overhead console, etc.) available to install a Homelink controller for garage door opener control. I am thinking about buying one of the three button set-ups to try to fit into the drivers side sunvisor like the Excursions and some other vehicles have. Has anybody installed a controller anywhere? I would love to see some pics of different ideas.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
This would be interesting to see. I would be interested in doing this if it is possible.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I put in garage doors and openers and I am not bashing you or anything, but why would you want one? People are always asking us to program them and they just suck to program, most of the time they won't program at all. Again not trying to make you mad or anything.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Doesn't the explorer overhead console have a spot for the garage door opener.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I put in garage doors and openers and I am not bashing you or anything, but why would you want one? People are always asking us to program them and they just suck to program, most of the time they won't program at all. Again not trying to make you mad or anything.
My '99 Grand Cherokee has one in it. It did take a little bit to program because of the "revolving code" the opener used. Once it was programmed, it is really nice not having that opener stuck on the visor.

Not only that, but if I had a homelink in my truck, someone couldn't break into my truck sitting outside and get the garage opener.

Doesn't the explorer overhead console have a spot for the garage door opener.
Yes it does. I am looking for one of the consoles so I can install it and put my opener in it. It would be nice having the extra light in the front too.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My '99 Grand Cherokee has one in it. It did take a little bit to program because of the "revolving code" the opener used. Once it was programmed, it is really nice not having that opener stuck on the visor.

Not only that, but if I had a homelink in my truck, someone couldn't break into my truck sitting outside and get the garage opener.

True, we install Liftmaster openers that have rolling code tecnology, they are great openers and the Liftmaster hand controls and keypads program just fine, it's just the homelink stuff that doesn't. We have issues with them, some more than others, sometimes they are just frustrating.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have Liftmaster openers on my garage doors and the Homelink in my wife's Excursion has worked without issue. I just don't like having the opener hanging on the visor. I've been keeping it in the ashtray but I usually have to take it out of the ashtray to get it to communicate with the opener. The metal tray interferes I would presume. Just thinking that a cleanly installed Homelink module would look pretty nice and would make opening the doors more user-friendly

·
Registered
241 Posts
I have Liftmaster openers on my garage doors and the Homelink in my wife's Excursion has worked without issue. I just don't like having the opener hanging on the visor. I've been keeping it in the ashtray but I usually have to take it out of the ashtray to get it to communicate with the opener. The metal tray interferes I would presume. Just thinking that a cleanly installed Homelink module would look pretty nice and would make opening the doors more user-friendly
I understand where you are coming from and some work great, like newer GM models, just hit the smart button and hit the homelink button- done. Some older vehicles though, late 90's/early 2000's are very hard to program for some reason. Yes sometimes metal things make the signal go weird like pole barns with steel siding on them really screw up the signal, even worse if there is a steel ceiling or walls make the signal bounce around inside the building instead of going directly to the opener, but there are ways to prevent that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts