Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be building my own exhaust manifolds to support my turbo project. The question is how thick does the tubing need to be to keep in the needed heat and will not burn through? Any thoughts would be helpful.

·
An Ancient view on life
314 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel?

JonFord

·
Registered
561 Posts
Really stinkin thick I hear lol... I seem to remember something like an eighth inch or better?

·
An Ancient view on life
314 Posts
Mine are made of 304 mandrel bend stainless that are 3 mm thick(.120). The flanges are a little over 1/2 inch thick.

JonFord

·
Registered
278 Posts
Why reinvent the wheel?

JonFord
Because there is alot of horse power and tourqe to be made through the use of differient desings of turbo manifold.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
Maybe it is some thing cool and unique like my baby quad turbo idea, and the angle of the dangle needs to be diff. There was a guy that made some log headers maybe you cab pm him and see what size he used.

·
Need a ride.
553 Posts
I for one would be more than happy to see it done.
A big X2 on that, nothing like custom I always say. Post up your progress, I'm sure theres more than a few of us that want to see this. Heck, when you get a chance, can you put together a set of uppies for me, nothing special:bowfast:

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well here is why I asked the question. I am going to run parallel turbos. I want both turbos up front by the core support. So using something off the shelf will not work. I am working with Bell Turbo for the turbos so I know it will work. All I need to do is to put it all together. I am thinking of using the same stuff the roll bars are made of. This way I can bend it and it should hold up to the heat and the weight of the turbo. Then when all done it will be coated. Is there any reason why this will not work?

·
2000 F350 SuperDuty 4x4
1,009 Posts
I am thinking of using the same stuff the roll bars are made of.
WTF?

You mean chromoly? That's not a good choice. Stainless would be much better. 304, 316, or 321.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts