Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
jim
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody here run red fuel? and if so how does it affect your truck and what is the difference? And i know that it is illegal im not looking for a lesson on the law.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
no
home heating oil is usually a lot dirtier then on road. and will contain more water per gallon. i have worked on a few heating systems that weren't running... ie no heat. drained filters, cut them open all water and just dirt and other junk plugging them up.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
i would doubt it though, the water does settle to the bottom. but when im saying crap. it was Junk. dirt, chunks of idk what. mixed with water. and the tank was 2 years old.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I run red #2 diesel fuel all the time in my 7.3 - doesn't seem to be any difference. As a LeftCoaster I feel your fuel price pain (currently $4.37 out here in LaLa Land) - so I've begun scrounging fuel in scrap yards - mostly heavy equipment - and mixing in their hydraulic fluid as well. I filter it, separate the water - and refuel. Maybe pretty dumbo way to go, but so far so good.

·
Registered
213 Posts
i've ran a few gallons of heating oil in my truck with no problems

·
Registered
28 Posts
During Hurricane Katrina they were selling it right out of the regular pumps. I ran it for months down there with no problems in a 2000 F350.

·
peterbilt'in
1,188 Posts
During Hurricane Katrina they were selling it right out of the regular pumps. I ran it for months down there with no problems in a 2000 F350.
thats just farm diesel. #2 died red.

up here, hho is blended with kero and who knows what else. and usually high sulpher

·
Registered
48 Posts
just rember if you take some out of your house tank their is water in the bottom of the tank. an use a filter to keep the water out an u will be fine

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I put 10 gallons into my tank that had about 15gal. of fuelstill in it. It made my truck MUCH quieter, and it really cleaned up the injectors as I'd been having a VERY bad case of NO POWER till it was warmed for 10 minutes atleast. I was generally amazed at what 10 gallons of old fuel oil from a plastic dum, that had sat outside for 1.5 years did.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Around here dyed fuel is the exact same fuel as the clear. The only difference is the dye that is injected into it at the pipeline when it is loaded as no tax fuel. I know of guys that run it in their pickups. I don't know about other states but the fines are really big in Kansas if you get caught. As for doing damage it shouldn't because it is regular old diesel. There is basically no home heating done with diesel around here so I don't know if that stuff is a different grade in other parts of the world or not.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts