Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning on building my own trailer here shortly out of a trailer project a buddy gave me for 25 bucks, it is going to be a 30' car hauler with 3 5200 lb axles and a small dove tail in the back. made to haul two wheeling toyota's only wieghing 4500 a piece so i got some room to play.

anyone else built there own trailer? lets see them, i need as many good ideas as i can get!

Thanks,
Ryan

·
Registered
145 Posts
i have blue prints for one, but after my time and cost of steel factored in. i just bought a new one.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
here is a quick scetch of what i am planning:

using an existing 2x6x.120 lower frame, a upper 2x4x.120 wall frame and 2x2x.120 stringers and wood decking.

what do you guys think? think i should step up to 3/16"? i am trying to keep it light as possible without compromising the integrity.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have blue prints for one, but after my time and cost of steel factored in. i just bought a new one.
could you show me your blue prints? trailers are really expensive up here and i already have the axles and base frame to work from that i got for 25 bucks so that should make it cheaper. similar retail trailers would be 6 grand or so and i think i can build most for 2 grand give or take.

·
Registered
145 Posts
could you show me your blue prints? trailers are really expensive up here and i already have the axles and base frame to work from that i got for 25 bucks so that should make it cheaper. similar retail trailers would be 6 grand or so and i think i can build most for 2 grand give or take.

i would if i could...=\ im not in the country right now. i wont be home till june.

i got the plains from Northern Tool. there for an 18 or 20 foot car hauler.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i will have to check that out and see if they have any bigger plans. this build will all depend on the cheapest way to build a 30 ft trailer because well, i am poor after buying the tow rig and the wheeler....lol we will see what stuff i can barter for and find on craigs list.

·
Registered
145 Posts
they have plains for all different types of trailers. like anything else there just a base line...you can always tweak them to fit your needs

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah they did not have any plans near the size of what i am planning but i found a guy here in anchorage that does trailer plans as well and he has been building trailers for a long time and he actually called me and we talked for a while about little things i should expect and my plans and he thinks i have a good foundation so i will keep going with my plan unless i find a cheap 30' camper to steal some 8-10" i beams out of to make the build cheap.

here is his website, great guy and has more plans for sale and some cool ideas and great instruction:

Alaska Tough Trailers by RRR Enterprises

·
Big dumb redneck
4,200 Posts
I've built 2 car haulers for a guy here at work. 20ft deck length with a 3ft dovetail in the back. Used 5" C-channel (1/4" wall) for the main frame, and 2" angle (3/16" thickness) for all the runners. These had the tires on the outside of the frame and not underneath so we could keep it as low as possible. 1/8" floor plate for the decking. Turned out pretty well. The trailers weighed in right around 2500lbs as well, so they aren't too terribly heavy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts