Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
I'm new here to the site and am looking for a possible explanation for a sound I am hearing from my truck. My truck is a 2003 F350 SuperCrew 8ft bed dually, bone stock and a freshly done oil/egr cooler replacement (done by yours truly).
The noise I am hearing is coming from the driver's side whether hot or cold, loudest at idle, but speeds up with RPM, though gets drowned out pretty quickly by all the usual diesel racket. Sounds like a hollow knocking sound like someone tapping on a big metal coffee can... I've tried the ol' jazz-hands routine on the Gargler, but haven't seen anything in the way of answers. Any help would be appreciated!
TiA for you help folks!

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Aftermarket air filter?
I think they all do it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aftermarket air filter?
I think they all do it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
No sir, bone stock everything... I'm leaning towards piston slap or a simple exhaust leak, just haven't had time to look yet. I'll be swapping over to it from my current work truck eventually (maybe), but I still need to find time to swap the flatbed onto it...
Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pull that side valve cover and check valve train. If noise follows rpms then it might be something mechanical. Exhaust leak at head/manifold will have a normal exhaust leak sound and also leave a tell sign of blackness. A turbo’d exhaust leak past manifolds should have a high tone like a bearing failing. Should really get louder with Rpm’s though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts