Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
PUNISHER EDITION F350
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the last two weeks my truck has had a ticking/knocking sound. I did a compresion test and a leak down and found out that #5 piston is not holding any compression or air.

So now I am going to start looking for a new motor or reman motor. My question for you guys is if you had the chance to do a budget build and build a good strong reliable truck. I was thinking satge 1 sticks, adrenaline hpop, d66 turbo and a ts/dp chip. Am i on the right track or are there any recommendations. How much can I get a new motor and how much would a buildup with all the mods cost. I just want a good strong reliable towing machine. Also could I use a 7.3 from a senond gen and would it work? If so how hard would it be and what all would I have to do and would it give me anymore power than the first gen?

As always thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
50 Posts
The engines are pretty similar. The big difference is the injectors and other external accessories.

If I were me I'd get a similar one and swap it.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
You actually would want to find the older engine due to the forged rods versus powdered rods. You also need the older engine in order to retain the mechanical fuel pump unless you planned on going with an electric conversion. Other than that it sounds like you have a good basis for a strong reliable engine. You will want to include gauges for both pyrometer and boost so as to keep an eye on things and if you have an auto I would recommend a trans temp gauge. The E4OD/4R100 trans do not like to get hot.

·
PUNISHER EDITION F350
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What size injectors would you guys recommend for a tow vehicle as well as what turbo should I use. I have already got guages in the truck. Would a electric fuel pump conversion add any extra power. Also what all would I need to make a newer 7.3 intecooler work on my truck can I use the stock 99 elbow and tubes without having to customize the tubes too much?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts