Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
It depends on battery charge level if they are topped off fully charged the alt wont push the power to them. The factory alternators are pretty bad that is where mine usually runs at when charged up and when I start drawing power it drops to high 12s until it hits a point where it kicks up to the high 13s rarely do I ever see 14 volts. I have 2 extra alts for the truck but I am going to buy a DC Power 190 amp alt and be done with the lousy one the truck comes with. Thought I had it made when I came across the extra alts but they are too light for the application not enough power for these power hungry engines.

No I don't think there is a problem with the ScanguageII just a problem with the alts Ford gave us for this engine.............

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
Are you sure it's not the egr cooler?
Look into intake maniflod under egr valve first, helps to have the truck nose down and sitting overnight.
Can also do a air bubble test from coolant cap put a rubber stopper in cap opening with a hose going to a bottle filled with water. With engine at operating temps start and let idle, watch for size of the air bubbles coming into to bottle,then unplug vgt which will lower the boost, if bubbles stop odds are it's the egr cooler if bubbles get smaller but keep coming odds are you have a problem with both head gaskets and cooler.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
stoker04, what size tires do you have on that truck? I like the width and what brand and how do you like them.

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
What size wheel?
Can you still get them?
I have 38/15.50/18 toyos but would rather have somehing smoother and quieter.

Used to run fun country, can't get wide ones anymore???

·
Fuel it up again Dummy
1,208 Posts
The boost is in the exhaust which drive the compressor for intake, the egr is a device that recirculates the exhaust through the intake for combustion again. The manifold was designed for the flow of it to be there for better or worse.lol
I think I get your question: when the turbo vanes are out there is more exhaust pressure on the egr cooler therefore you will have more of a leak or bubbles coming into cooling system.Unplug the turbo and the vanes relax dropping boost pressure less bubbles.

·
bond james bond
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
you would think when makin say 20psithe boost pressure in the inlet would blowthru the egr an down the exhaust path of least resistance,or does the valv only open in non boost situation?

21 - 33 of 33 Posts