Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, the truck leaves no puddles anywhere.
But while I was under it, I noticed things were a bit damp. Oil pan is old so it's not perfect but at the same token I don't think it's leaking. There was a bit of oil around the starter are and the bottom of the oil pan was wet.
Is the valley the little space between the trans inspection place and oil pan? It appeared the oil may be running down there? Would this indicate a rear main seal gone sour?

Thanks

·
whistle tits
3,498 Posts
the valley is the top of your motor, between the heads, where your hpop, turbo, fuel bowl, etc. are, and thats usually where the leaks come from on 7.3's. there is a drain at the back of the motor that goes down to the bellhousing/flywheel inspection cover, which makes it look like a rear main leak. not to say a rear main isnt your problem, but they very seldom leak on 7.3's

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah okay thanks. I suppose I was thinking too abstractly. I wiped everything down and I'll check it in a couple days to see if I can narrow it down.

Nice ALH ;)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looked under today, definitely seems like it's coming from up top.
In the attached image you can see between the exhaust manifold and block is wet.

Attachments

·
STILL LEARNING
18,328 Posts
There is a drain hole in the back of the valley to allow any water to drain out. It allows any leaking engine oil or fuel to drain out as well and it leaves a leak like you are seeing

·
Registered
9 Posts
If you don't have oil in the valley check your valve cover on that side. Can't really see from the pic, but they can leak too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts