Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm coming due SOON for a hard drive upgrade in my MacBook Pro (120 GB. just isn't enough anymore...) so I'm up in the air as to which of the brands above I ought to go with and why I should pick that manufacturer over the others? The R/R looks to be easy enough that I can do it myself (clone the current internal to the new one while it's in an external enclosure then physically swap the drives) but since my machine is 3 years old a little freshening-up is in order. FWIW, while a SSD is intriguing, my budget isn't anywhere close to letting me buy a 250GB+ SSD so I'm sticking with a conventional 7200 rpm drive.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
How big of a drive are you looking to go with. The 320gb WD and 640gb (built off the 320gb platters) are a bit faster than the 500 or 700+ alternatives if your looking in that range.

I have 2 WD 500gb drives I have had for 3 years now and have worked great, just got a 1tb drive a few weeks back which is working good too.

I have yet to ever have an issues with an hdd *knock on wood* so I can't really say to stay away from one particular group. I used to buy Maxtor drives but started with WD after I got the first 500. I still use in my main pc a 15gb maxtor drive that is at least 10 years old, and have a maxtor 120gb that is 8-9 years old and spent the last 1+ years running in my rough riding truck.

Of your choices my vote is for Western Digital :shrug:

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
At work all of our machines use Seagates. When we were using small ones 20 and 40G they lasted for years and years, never had a failed HDD. Now that we are up to a little bigger 120 and up, they do seem to fail a little more often. We have had five die in the last year. That is out of like 400 in all of our stores. These machines do run 24-7-365 though.

·
Flossin'
2,088 Posts
I always buy Western Digital, just because I've had good luck with them. All 4 PC's I've built have had WD's in them.

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, what I might wind up doing is this:

0.5) Run a full bootable clone of my current internal HDD onto the external (it's a 250GB Seagate, FWIW...) that I'm using now

1) Buy an enclosure for a 2.5" SATA drive

2) Put new HDD in that enclosure--hook up to currently-running MBP and format the new drive

3) Physically swap the HDD's--new one into the MBP, old one into the external enclosure

4) Run a clean install of Snow Leopard onto the new internal drive

5) Connect enclosure with old HDD and run Migration assistant to transfer stuff over--apps, iTunes library, iPhoto library, etc...

I've been using my MBP for ~3 years now and am pretty comfortable with it but this'll be the first time I've done something this involved with it--does this sound like a sensible plan?

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Just back everything up. And do not toss your original HDD until you have everything up and running good.

·
Peon
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just back everything up. And do not toss your original HDD until you have everything up and running good.
I figured on keeping the old HDD in an external enclosure for secondary backups/large file moving since it still works but isn't big enough for my primary HDD anymore.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I figured on keeping the old HDD in an external enclosure for secondary backups/large file moving since it still works but isn't big enough for my primary HDD anymore.
Hang onto it as a original backup until you are satisfied everything is moved over and working fine. Then reformat and throw it in an enclosure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts