Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So every time it's cold outside wether I plug the truck in or not the first few minutes i drive at different Rpms the truck starts making a hissing noise and looses power then picks right back up. Then goes away after about 5 min. Does anyone else have this problem I had another 2000 that did the same thing sometimes. The truck is a 00 f250 ccsb auto with 200k. Any ideas on what this may be.

·
HP Junky
4,927 Posts
I would assume you're hearing the exhaust back pressure valve on the exhaust side of the turbo closing, the buttterfly restricts exhaust flow coming out of the turbocharger to help warm the engine up. If it is a problem, you can simply unplug the connector that is found on the lower portion on the front of the turbo pedestal.

Coincidentally, that warm up valve can also be controlled with some aftermarket tuning so you'd be able to use it as an exhaust brake if you do much towing...

·
FNG
6,018 Posts
Its your EBPV. Its designed to do it to warm the engine up faster

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ic well I'm workin on gettin some tunes from complete performance right now. If that will help it I'll deal with it until then. Makes sense though. I'm guessing the 6.0 doesn't have hat sense it has a different turbo set up because it never did that.

·
Registered
572 Posts
believe 6.0 uses the turbo vanes to increase back pressure is a similar way

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Straight pipe it and then listen. It is awesome, especially when it idles up and if the ebpv has never been cleaned, it will stick a bit and blow back open after so much pressure builds up and sounds like a gun going off.lol

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but, sometimes mine will still do it even after the engine warms up. It will come and go. is there something that needs to be cleaned or replaced. seems like it gets stuck once in a while.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Clean or unplug your ebpv, it's not needed

·
Old Yeller, REBORN
2,284 Posts
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but, sometimes mine will still do it even after the engine warms up. It will come and go. is there something that needs to be cleaned or replaced. seems like it gets stuck once in a while.
Mine was getting stuck and I did have to clean it. Pain though since you have to take the turbo off to get to the ebpv. I did mine during a rebuild. It will still come and go if it is cold enough outside when the engine is warm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts