Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i am a fairly new 7.3 owner, and i drive alot of highway miles. I used to drive at 75mph but since i got my F-250 i only drive at about 69mph cuz of how high the rpms are at 75. I know these engines are beasts, so i was wondering if it will hurt the engine in any way if i set my cruise at 75mph? :confused:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am pretty sure that it has 3:73, but i am not positive, is there anywhere on the truck that it specifies. at 69mph my rpms are at about 2100-2200

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Sounds like 3:73's

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok good, cuz i was just a little worried that cruising with the rpms up that high might damage the engine, but it sounds like it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Nope wont hurt anything... ive put mine on cruise around 80 before. but usually keep mine around 70 for fuel mileage...

·
Canadian Stroker
577 Posts
They relay smooooooth out over 80:ford:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
There is a tag on the diff attached by one of the bolts. A lot of #'s look for 3.73 or 3L73 which is limited slip.

·
We put the FU! in FUN
1,625 Posts
mpg would be the only thing i would be worried about.. Thats why i cruise @ 62-65mph

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yay mine says 3L73! woohoo! :ford: What about posi? did any of these come with it? :confused:

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Yay mine says 3L73! woohoo! :ford: What about posi? did any of these come with it? :confused:
Most poeple refer to a limited slip as a posi. Actually a limited slip other than a detroit trutrac has clutches in it that transfers traction to the side thats spinning. A tru posi is a locker. Both sides are locked together.

What you have is a fact limited slip. Which is good. If it ever needs replaced put a trutrac in it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you can tell your gear ratio by jacking the back end up and rotating the tire and every turn of the tire the drive line will turn about 3 3/4s turns and so on.so the ratio is 3.73 to 1.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ahhh i see, thanks for the clarification ;), well it seems to be pretty much always locked so i figured it was a posi/limited slip. Works good in mud! :evil

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
I run my van at 80mph all the time, fuel economy is def down compared to 65mph but I get bored driving 60miles one way to work and can't keep the speed down, btw it's got 3:55's with 245/85/16's on it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts