Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search on this but I only find peoples opinions and not a hard fact.

I'm just wondering what the highest boost pressure the 6.4 can maintain? I rarely put my foot into the peddle but when I do my DD gives me the Boost Warning every time. Is the warning set super low on purpose or is that a good pressure limit? Can I bump up the warning and still be good?

Boost warning is set at 40psi

·
Registered
518 Posts
On a stock 6.4 without head studs, you dont want to have anything over 50 PSI of boost. The factory head studs are at there limit with 50 PSI and anything more, is when things bad happen. I have personaly ran my 6.4 to 53 PSI a handful of times and never had a problem.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I think back pressure is the bigger issue...I have see in exsess of 50 on more than one occasion. I think anything over 50 psi the turbos are out of their efficiency range. My boost warning is set at 50 psi. No issues to date with 275 + tunes

·
StackinChipsLikePringles
3,085 Posts
Usually you are going to hit the high boost when your TC is locked and you lay into it hard. From a stop or lower speed, you shouldnt see the 50s

·
Madd Dogg Diesel
745 Posts
i have hit 58 psi with no studs and never blew a gasket but have broke a pushrod, think that was mre due to very high rpms tho

·
Cab on installer
2,150 Posts
50psi is fine but anymore is a waste. Why is it a waste? Well as you compress air it gets hot. The more you compress it the hotter it gets. Hot air makes less power. Yes we have an intercooler in our trucks but it can only do so much. There is a point where making more boost, going past 55psi, where you will actually start to lose power cause the air temp will be higher than if you ran say 45psi. This is why ppl that build turbo kits, spec turbos for trucks and cars, or modify vehicles read compressor maps in order to make choices on airflow and the rated abilities of the turbos for the application. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
9,722 Posts
I have to push it with the converter locked to get 48-49 out of my turbos. I was logging some runs a few weeks ago and I think I hit 50-51 once or twice. The air was really cool out. I'm not complaining though. My truck runs really good and makes really good power. Who knows? Maybe my turbos are about to go out. LOL

1 - 12 of 12 Posts