Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Pearson's Diesel
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the part number for the hi volume pump that melling makes. They say they don't have for the 7.3, so it must be for a different application.

·
Grumpy Old Bitter Bastard
6,476 Posts
Melling only makes one gerotor low pressure oil pump for a 7.3. It does flow slightly more at high rpm's compared to stock.

·
Village Idiot
8,209 Posts
not sure but iirc that is the one itp carries, also give bob at dieselsite a call see what he has.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Melling does not have a high volume pump. They have a "better" pump than stock. It has better flow characteristics ie: less cavitation issues.

We are working on one that will be a high volume pump. The prototype should be done in a couple weeks. We scrapped the 1st unit as the cost was too high for production. The 2nd design looks like it'll come in at a good retail price.

Look for any updates on our website. We'll put a picture up as soon as we're done with it.

Bob

·
Pearson's Diesel
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the help. I have one in my engine that I bought from another member, a buddy is wanting one and I didn't know where to buy them.

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
Melling does not have a high volume pump. They have a "better" pump than stock. It has better flow characteristics ie: less cavitation issues.

We are working on one that will be a high volume pump. The prototype should be done in a couple weeks. We scrapped the 1st unit as the cost was too high for production. The 2nd design looks like it'll come in at a good retail price.

Look for any updates on our website. We'll put a picture up as soon as we're done with it.

Bob
Hey Bob, y'all need a tester?

·
riverjet
459 Posts
What will it do? Will it help feed the high pressure pump better?Why do we need more than55lbs. of pressure?

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Refill the HPOP reservoir quicker?

Has anyone ever tested or found this to drop pressure from not enough flow to keep it filled with the larger volume HPOPs etc..?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
What will it do? Will it help feed the high pressure pump better?Why do we need more than55lbs. of pressure?
We're concerned more with volume, as opppsed to pressure, which is what the new pumps would do. Yes in certain instances more LPOP volume has been needed.

Dave

·
Pulling sled for hire
1,905 Posts
We're concerned more with volume, as opppsed to pressure, which is what the new pumps would do. Yes in certain instances more LPOP volume has been needed.

Dave
And as injectors get bigger and faster more and more oil will be needed. Pretty soon the problem is going to be the LPOP keeping up with the HPOP instead of the HPOP keeping up with the injectors.

·
riverjet
459 Posts
Thanks. Has anyone determined if this is actualy occuring and at what point does this happen?

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
So is the melling one a better choice? Or is the one dieselsite is coming out with going to be a better option for high volume pumps.

·
Dairy Mechanic
2,198 Posts
:popcorn:

·
<<< Power
3,456 Posts
So is the melling one a better choice? Or is the one dieselsite is coming out with going to be a better option for high volume pumps.
The melling is only slightly better than stock, and I think that was kind of an accident.

The Dieselsite pump will move more on purpose, so don't think there's any question which will be better.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts