Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been lurking and learning so here's the first post, need a little guidance.

Bought a 96/auto a few weeks ago and it had a slight miss, most noticable from idle to about 1600rpm, then it would smooth out and run fine. Did alot of reading here, checked codes, ran a buzz test and a contribution test. #7 failed the contribution test and had codes for all right bank cylinders having open circuits.

I ordered a rebuilt AA injector and a valve cover gasket with a new uvch and I put them in today. When I pulled it out I found someone had at one time put a AD injector in hole #7.... The new injector corrected the miss, it runs perfect now and I'm very happy with that.

Problem is I still have all the high to low open codes for all cylinders on the right bank, even with the new uvch and gasket. Is this telling me the IDM is defective? I'm not sure which way to go now.

Synopsis:
New injector
New uvch
Pass buzz test
Pass contribution test
Starts good, (even at 20 degrees not plugged in)
runs fine
no SES

If it's the IDM does it need to be replaced since it starts and runs good or will it just fail without notice and leave me stranded? Could the split shot injector have fubared the IDM for the entire right bank?

Thanks for the help.
Todd

·
Registered
2,906 Posts
I don't think the IDM would be bad as that will definitely shut down the whole bank and set the CEL. Were the old codes cleared? Cheers!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, the codes were cleared and they came back after we ran the contribution test again.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm am having similar problems and am running AD's.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I would say go over your injector harnesses. The external one first that is. You can do a pinout test on the harness from the IDM which will tell you if you have wiring/injector issues or if you are having an IDM issue. It is a very easy test and it takes longer to take the plug loose from the IDM than it does to do the whole test.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wouldn't happen to have a wiring diagram for the IDM to injectors would you? I don't have a service manual.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
I will do you one better. I have the test procedure in color for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks, I'll check it all out Saturday when the weather straightens out.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got a chance to check it today at lunch time, all the circuits ohm out correctly. The injector circuits are all 3.0 ohms and the ones the should be open, are. So now I'm just a little more confused on why these high to low open codes keep coming back on the right bank

I do appreciate the help and guidance though.

·
Demon Dually
5,140 Posts
Did you clear the codes again to see if they come back a second time? You may want to try disconnecting the batteries to clear the codes. I have gone this route before when codes would return for no reason.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I guess I'll try that, I guess I shouldn't worry about it too much because it doesn't have any issues other than these phantom codes that don't make any sense.
Thanks again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts