Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With snow plows, lights, etc. etc. I needed a higher output Alternator and I have to tell you guys that Nations Starter/Alternator is AWESOME to deal with, work with, complian to, so on and so forth. I'm sure there are other good ones out there ......

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was wearing out batteries like it was going out of style and with my V blade snow plow and salt/sand spreader and the OEM alternators were testing good. So I needed a higher output alt. Saw a post in another thread touching on it so I just figured I'd start a thread for anyone interested...........

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
DB Electric is the alternator that will be in my truck. Right now I'm running a black powder coated 200amp (105amp idle/ 200 at 1200rpm IIRC). I was having battery problems that are a thing of the past. Are you running the Nations 250amp alt for $425 :eek:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
250 or 260, amp, (Id have to look at the receipt) but, not for $425- a pop! I'll give one of your guys a try though. I have a few trucks that we plow with and it's just me being anal and having a "cushion" for the amp draws these trucks have on 'em.

One thing I have noticed is that pulley size has a lot to do with it. I tried to "cheat the system" and put one of nations pulleys on an OEM alternator to make it spin faster, NOT A GOOD IDEA!!

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Did either of your trucks have the dual alternator setup from the factory?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Did either of your trucks have the dual alternator setup from the factory?
Nope, mine doesn't. I believe that DB has 220amp alts for the dual alt setups- their's is the top alt.
You know there's a lot of people that down DB's and I'm sure if you look hard enough you can find people to down Nations. I personally don't need 250amps so it's more cost effective for me to run a 200amp DB.

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
Would it have cost less to maybe just add the second alternator and make it the dual setup... its supposed to be pretty simple.

I'm not downing either, just wondering if one is more cost effective than the other. My truck came with the dual setup, and I will never even use it to its potential.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2nd alternator option wasn't on any of the trucks I've bought. Haven't ordered a truck for some years now. I think about it this way, why have a 2nd one to go bad, another thing to move when you're working on these trucks so on and so forth.
I keep a couple of spares around for emergencies but, I haven't worn a nations out yet.

For the record the trucks would run/operate fine with the stock alt. but, BIG BUT not long after snow season they would be done the first time myself or one of the guys left headlights on and the battery got drained a little.

Not to change the thread but, anyone use those OPTIMA batteries, they're not very popular around here, AT ALL! The truck in my AVATAR has one hell of a stereo sys. and I wanted to blame it for the batteries but, it wasn't long until I found out that wasn't the prob because it was happening in my other trucks.

·
Registered
297 Posts
GoGoDiesel makes an overdrive pulley that is 2.1" tall verse the stock 2.7" tall and i want to say it close to $75

·
Damnkids Motorsports
2,260 Posts
2nd alternator option wasn't on any of the trucks I've bought. Haven't ordered a truck for some years now. I think about it this way, why have a 2nd one to go bad, another thing to move when you're working on these trucks so on and so forth.
I keep a couple of spares around for emergencies but, I haven't worn a nations out yet.

For the record the trucks would run/operate fine with the stock alt. but, BIG BUT not long after snow season they would be done the first time myself or one of the guys left headlights on and the battery got drained a little.

Not to change the thread but, anyone use those OPTIMA batteries, they're not very popular around here, AT ALL! The truck in my AVATAR has one hell of a stereo sys. and I wanted to blame it for the batteries but, it wasn't long until I found out that wasn't the prob because it was happening in my other trucks.
The second alternator would almost be like a backup if one went bad right? If you're truck didn't come with it, there is a write up on here how to add it, it's very simple.

Anyways..

I have used the Optimas in almost all of my vehicles and we put one in my gf's escape that is running a touchscreen DVD player, 4 infinity 5x7 speakers, a rockford 1 farad capacitor, a rockford 1800 watt amp and two 1000w 12's in a ported box. That battery has been in her car for over 5 years now and is still going strong. The stereo dims the headlights and every light in the car at night and the battery is still kicking. I think I'm gonna run a bigger power cable to the amp to help with the headlight dimming though.

I will put Optimas in mine when they go (not looking forward to paying for two of them!)

The optimas also come in the AFE stage II intakes too... pretty neat setup.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've used Optimas in all my cars. Definately helped with headlight dimming and stereos. Had one for over 5 years before I screwed it up letting it sit in a parked car.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
DB Electric is the alternator that will be in my truck. Right now I'm running a black powder coated 200amp (105amp idle/ 200 at 1200rpm IIRC). I was having battery problems that are a thing of the past. Are you running the Nations 250amp alt for $425 :eek:
I had the DB alternator in The Pumpkin and have the DB alternator in the Procharged 6.0 truck. Never an issue with either. :D

·
Lift it
28 Posts
I have 2 yellow top Optimas, and a 200 amp alternator. I have a flip/touch screen radio 3000 watt and 1000 watt amp with 4 5x7 speakers and 2 12" TREO 1500 watt speakers, along with 6 of the 150 watt KC Daylighters, and I can have all the lights and stereo turned up and it doesnt even dim the headlights or dash lights anymore. Their just awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts