Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
95 F250 2001 F450
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 F450 crew cab with flat bed. Needing to lower my oil temp when hauling stock in the mountains. last time it was pretty warm, probably 80 Degrees outside. this trip includes two steep, long, passes. oil temp reached 249 by the time I would reach the summit. I've flushed the cooling system and added new coolant and additive. Is there a good miracle in a bottle to flush the engine and oil cooler, or should I pull the oil cooler to clean and check. Is there any other ways to get the oil temp down. I do have an edge tuner that I just run in tow mode, otherwise every thing else is stock, except for a 6.0 tranny cooler. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Project Shamu
3,155 Posts
249 is a tad high, but not as high as most would think. I had mine up to 287* pulling a 7% grade once. Shortly after (few months) I found a weeping water pump, replaced it with an international pump with filter from Diesel Site, did several coolant flushes and pulled the same hill at 235*.

Looking into good coolant flushes with a cleaner, and maybe even rebuilding the oil cooler, and ensuring its clear internally.

Also ensure the fan clutch is working properly. At 249*, it should be singing pretty loud. Mine is usually at full send around 230*, and it sounds like a damn tornado over a straight piped 7.3 with no sound deadening.

·
Native Californian
507 Posts
Dan has some great input. I might add to look at a cooler thermostat if you are running a 203*. I would do a coolant flush and maybe replace the water pump and do the oil cooler o-rings for good measure and maintenance. I think you'll find that'll help quite a bit. You're temps really are not bad. I have run higher than that towing heavy and winds and grades, etc.... That is what led me to a 180* thermostat from Dieselsite, but I am not sure they are still available. A 190* Motorcraft should do just fine along with the previously mentioned.

·
Project Shamu
3,155 Posts
180* is available on RockAuto, which I recently switched in for other reasons.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
The only problem with the 180* and 190* thermostats... is hot cabin air in the wintertime when you are not towing. ;)

·
Project Shamu
3,155 Posts
I've had a streak of 30* days for a while now (surprising for california), and I always end up turning my heater off after a few minutes, or at the very least, all the way down. Its not near as bad as some people make it seem.

This assumes the heater/ac system are in good working order.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Perhaps my old thermostat was toast in other ways...

·
Project Shamu
3,155 Posts
I had a problem with heat and AC for a while, so I had the local ford dealer replace almost the entire system, heater core, ac condenser, compressor, drier, evap, and all the lines. It all made a big difference.

·
Registered
99 F350
27 Posts
What kind of weight are you pulling up those steep climbs? Any chance you have an aftermarket coolant temp gauge? Your oil and coolant temps should be within 20* if your oil cooler is working properly. It can’t hurt to do some troubleshooting of the cooling system...

I would not be concerned with 249* IF the ambient temperature was high, I was towing heavy and up significant grades as long as the temps came down as I reached the summit.

·
95 F250 2001 F450
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
249 is a tad high, but not as high as most would think. I had mine up to 287* pulling a 7% grade once. Shortly after (few months) I found a weeping water pump, replaced it with an international pump with filter from Diesel Site, did several coolant flushes and pulled the same hill at 235*.

Looking into good coolant flushes with a cleaner, and maybe even rebuilding the oil cooler, and ensuring its clear internally.

Also ensure the fan clutch is working properly. At 249*, it should be singing pretty loud. Mine is usually at full send around 230*, and it sounds like a damn tornado over a straight piped 7.3 with no sound deadening.
Do you know what your EGTS were when the temp got that high, and do you have stock exhaust or upgraded. I hit 1400, stock

·
Project Shamu
3,155 Posts
My truck is modified but not as much as some, but I never let my EGTs get over 1250-1300*. Although with enough right foot i can bury the needle on the Pyro pretty easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts