Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Professional American, guarding our constitution.
9,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why are most "high mileage" oils I see whether they be conventional, semi-synthetic or full synthetic almost always 5 or 10 weight? Nobody ever impressed this on me, but my logic thru life has always been that a thicker oil will create more pressure - something you want on a higher mileage motor, not? This isn't really anything to do with a diesel, just something I noticed picking up oil today.

Incidentally, Advance Auto in my area has the 5 quart jugs of Motorcraft synthetic blend *and* a Motorcraft filter for $23.99 right now. I bought 5 jugs and since I couldn't get any 6.0/6.4 filters with that deal I got 5 FL-1 filters and have 0 small block Ford motors to use them on :confused:

C'est la vie

·
Administrator
32,949 Posts
your like my wife

Me= Honey why did u buy that ? We don't need that and won't use it !

Her= I had a coupon

LOL

·
<---Peggy Sue
842 Posts
Sounds like you need a bronco or a fox body!!!

·
Registered
45 Posts
My understanding of what a High Mileage Oil does is it has some additives for seal and gasket leaks. I believe the oil itself is the same as the regular stuff.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ya my guess is it just has some snake oil additive that helps "protect" from engine wear. My buddy's swear by castrole gtx high mileage and always used it in my ex wife's pos g6. And that pooch always ran better with that oil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts