Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at buying a 1996 F250 with a PowerStroke and 5 speed manual, but the milage scares me a little. The milage is over 300k, but it seems to have been maintained and run well. I was not able crank the truck when it was dead-cool, but I pull the oil filler cap while the engine was running, it did not have oil shooting out, but did have a lot of pressure venting. When you rev the engine you get just a little gray smoke, it seems to idle well, and runs out great. There is oil on the engine, does not seem to be leaking badly, it's dirty. What else should I check? Is 300k a lot if it's been maintained?
Thanks

·
PSN Mega Miler
6,480 Posts
Mine has 305k or so and runs great. I think it will last for a long time yet.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Why won't it start cold. How was it started. Hopefully not ether. With the motor at idle, pull the oil fill cap, turn it upside down and set it on the oil fill tube. Does it blow off, dance around, vibrate off, or just sit there happy. First one, walk away. Second one, buy it if the price is really good. Third one, try to talk him down a bit. Fourth one, give him what he is asking and smile when you do it.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Mine is young 272K. Fixin' to make it fast.

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
:whs: I sold my 00 with 335k on the ticker, while it was in the shop getting my blown turbo pulled off.Guy couldn't give me a hand full of $$$ fast enough. Wish I hadn't of sold it now. Best truck I ever owned.

·
I know nothing...
6,115 Posts
I bought a 360k 95' IIRC last year and got a surprise, it had a 97' engine w/50k in it. Ask lots of questions, if he gets irritated walk away, if he answers without kicking around at the gravel in front of his boots buy it.

·
AllYourBaseAreBelongToUs
13,954 Posts
I just bought a diesel with 280k on it w/o batting an eye. As long as it's been well maintained you should be good to go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts