Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after truck starts, switch to high idle setting leave until i'm ready to drive. Switch back to wherever i had it?

Just curious if i have to wait for the GPR to be done with its thing, or just switch it as soon as it fires?

·
Pre-K
410 Posts
So after truck starts, switch to high idle setting leave until i'm ready to drive. Switch back to wherever i had it?

Just curious if i have to wait for the GPR to be done with its thing, or just switch it as soon as it fires?
I've been told you can switch it at anytime, even before you start it and while you're driving. Everything switches instantly. High idle tho is a good question. I don't have that setting so don't know much about it - can you drive in high idle? will it make a difference on the trans if you stop at a red light, like brake torquing it?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been told you can switch it at anytime, even before you start it and while you're driving. Everything switches instantly. High idle tho is a good question. I don't have that setting so don't know much about it - can you drive in high idle? will it make a difference on the trans if you stop at a red light, like brake torquing it?
I know it all switches instanly, and yes i put in the high idle at a light with foot on brake, when i first got it and it does what it should...

Anyone else?

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I start the truck in my extreme tune then switch to high idle after ten seconds or so... You don't have to wait for the glow plugs to turn off. My LED is still on when I turn my high idle on. Leave the truck in high idle for a few minutes. Then before driving, I switch back to whatever tune I want (extreme)

I don't drive in high idle.

·
Loves OBS Trucks
1,065 Posts
I alsways start in the stock tune and wait 5-10 seconds to switch to High idle. Then I don't drive in any tune but a stock tune until it warms up some. dont want the extra timing that some tunes have until I have some heat in the engine.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Copy that....thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
95 Posts
since I can't plug mine in, when it's real cold I wait for it to stop coughing the first few seconds then flip it over. I never thought about not running it in anything but stock till it warms up...... think it makes a big difference?

·
Registered
290 Posts
As long as you dont beat on it, you should be fine. I start in my tow tune, then switch to Hi-idle then back to tow tune for daily driving. Seems fine to me.

I keep revs under 1600 and 1/4 throttle until the needle has past the Cold block on the gauge. and under 2000 rpm and under 1/2 throttle until the needle hits normal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.