Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 97 7.3 f250 and winter hit hard here in st. louis it is COLD any the truck ran horrible until i let it warm up and that took for ever. any way i found this and want to know if anyone has done it or something like it for a high idle, and will it work on my truck this one seems to be very easy.

High Idle Mod

thanks in advance
Clutzmi

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
Will this work on a 96?

·
Super Hauler!
3,882 Posts
found the same thing a few years back, says it works on all 7.3's superduty's and obs trucks. Try it let us know if it works. It all makes sence for the wiring

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Awesome I know what I will be doing soon thats cool now I dont have to give up a spot on my chip.

·
USASF Retired
305 Posts
I think I will give it a try, it has been pretty cold out, I think it would help. I wonder if you can get it to work with the parking brake off to use for winching.

·
All Jacked up on Mt Dew!!
148 Posts
the write up was on a 2003 6.0. Are the same steps needed to do this to a 7.3?

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
I don't think its gonna work on the 7.3 (a separate Auxilliary Idle Controller was used on the 7.3 and I've never seen anyone wire a "single-wire" solution like this). You can build your own Idle Control for relatively cheap. It won't be rock-steady when the truck is cold and warming up (RPMs will increase as the friction losses decrease during warmup), but once it's warmed up idle will be fairly steady. I have a crude diagram and writeup for the one I have been using since 2001 or so. PM me your email address if you want me to send it to you. Cheers!

Added in edit: The mod described may work on 1997 (and later 7.3's). The 1997 EVTM does show wire 323 (Power Take-Off Feed, Light Blue with Yellow trace wire) on PCM connector pin 10. My 1996 and earlier EVTMs do not show it. Cheers again!

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
I don't think its gonna work on the 7.3 (a separate Auxilliary Idle Controller was used on the 7.3 and I've never seen anyone wire a "single-wire" solution like this). You can build your own Idle Control for relatively cheap. It won't be rock-steady when the truck is cold and warming up (RPMs will increase as the friction losses decrease during warmup), but once it's warmed up idle will be fairly steady. I have a crude diagram and writeup for the one I have been using since 2001 or so. PM me your email address if you want me to send it to you. Cheers!
PM sent

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
OK here's another edit to the above (can't edit message past 30 minutes without contacting administrator ... dumb rule BTW): Wire 294 is the instrument illumination feed on the OBS trucks so you'll have to use another "hot in run" wire to tap. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
get a hi idle setting for your chip much cheaper than a Aic

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
So I've been thinking about this, ever since I bought my 02 van, and when it gets below about 35 degrees out- it will slowly go into high idle and if you touch the brake it comes right down to regular idle- Being my first 7.3 I thought it was the ebpv but the ebpv works with the high Idle, so what this is telling me is that it is tied into the Baro sensor? So what I'm thinking is could a guy try the high idle mod in parallel with the baro sensor on my obs? you could still wire in a switch or two to either turn it on when you need it or turn it off all together. what do you think?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
Guys, the newer vans and all SD's have the automatic idle up feature built into the PCM, the OBS trucks don't, that's why they had the AIC back then.

The OBS trucks don't have the upfitter wiring, so an automatic idle up feature isn't doable unless it's by your chip, or a brick placed on the throttle. :D

Patrick, I never noticed that so I looked it up, you're right, the 97's do have that pin. How to use I am not sure, but I would guess you would ground that wire. I don't think I'm going to try it though. ;)

Dave

·
96 Ford F-350 PSD
187 Posts
I would really like to know if this works. I need the truck to idle hire when it is cold. The BARO sensor is a good idea. Any smart wire guys out there that know about this?

·
What else?
4,156 Posts
I would really like to know if this works. I need the truck to idle hire when it is cold. The BARO sensor is a good idea. Any smart wire guys out there that know about this?
Trying to manipulate the signal the baro sensor sends to the PCM won't get you what you want, the OBS trucks don't have the programming built into them to idle them up. You can disconnect the baro sensor and the truck will still run fine.

The way the SD's and newer vans know when to idle up is off of the EOT sensor.

You can either get a chip with a hi idle position on it, get an AIC, or put a brick on the pedal.

Dave

·
Custom Trailer Sales
6,161 Posts
What about this method HERE?

·
OEM Moderator
9,381 Posts
You can still find the AIC's for sale on ebay and such if you want one. A chip position also works great.

·
Don't EFN worry about it
15,588 Posts
Nice I am liking this . Hate to waste a spot on the chip. :evil

·
Get drunk and be somebody
459 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but the OBS dont have the high idle feature? Because where I am (Green Bay, WI) Its always around 0*F here and when I start my truck up the rpm's go to 600 but after a minute or so they jump to roughly 1200 rpms and will run at the for awhile until the engine temp warms up.

This is on a stock truck with out a chip or anything

1 - 19 of 19 Posts