Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed my gauge rised quickly. From a roll I got into the throttle and rolled into it and as the truck kept pulling so did my egt's I had to let off the pedal because gauge was @ 1250-1300 and about 60-65 mph. I was in my 80E is it normal for temps to climb that fast.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
No, not normal. What are you seeing for boost?

Check for loose clamps or rips in any of your intercooler / turbo boots.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, not normal. What are you seeing for boost?

Check for loose clamps or rips in any of your intercooler / turbo boots.
Didn't notice what my boost where at. Would higher egts give less boost? Visually evering looks good, bolts are all tight, no rips but I will have to make a boost leak detector to test it.

Thanks

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
EGTs do move quite quickly, especially on a truck w/ a stock turbo set up.

But I did have a small boost leak once and the only way that I knew something was different is that instead of my pyro gauge going to about 1200 after a good full fuel run it was swinging past 1600 right away. Other wise it just felt a little soft.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
I also found the clamp on the hose to the turbo inlet was loose. Could that cause high egt's ?
As in the clamp on the intake tube. One end turbo, the other end filter? If so, probably won't cause high EGT's. That is until all of the dust sucking in there eats up the wheel. And the cylinder walls.

·
A Ghost these days...
2,434 Posts
Didn't notice what my boost where at. Would higher egts give less boost? Visually evering looks good, bolts are all tight, no rips but I will have to make a boost leak detector to test it.

Thanks
Absolutely. Less boost = higher EGT's in your case.

I also found the clamp on the hose to the turbo inlet was loose. Could that cause high egt's ?
If your talking about where your air intake clamps to the compressor housing... No, that should not cause the high EGT's.

Check for soot around your up-pipe flanges too. Something like this...

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
As in the clamp on the intake tube. One end turbo, the other end filter? If so, probably won't cause high EGT's. That is until all of the dust sucking in there eats up the wheel. And the cylinder walls.
Yes thats the clamp it was 2 1/2 turns loose

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will check for boost leak with a leak detector.....what is the safe max air pressure? Iam guessing 20- 25 (air) psi?

·
Junior Mint
2,461 Posts
You won't be able to get it that high because of valve overlap losing air out of the tailpipe.

Fortunately you only need 3-5# to find any boost leaks. Have a spray bottle of soapy water handy and good luck.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You won't be able to get it that high because of valve overlap losing air out of the tailpipe.

Fortunately you only need 3-5# to find any boost leaks. Have a spray bottle of soapy water handy and good luck.
Thanks I will check it as soon I have a chance. Wow 3-5psi I was way off good to know didn't want to put more air than needed.

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts