Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2005 crew cab lariat with 70,000 miles on it. I noticed when pulling a load I have extremly high egt's :confused: I had 125 bales of hay on a trailer and the egt's loved to be at 1,000* & over. Now for these trucks this weight shouldnt be nothing to it. Now I am worried when I tow my 21ft enclosed snowmobile trailer that the gauge will be burried!! something else also is that I can statr pulling a hill at 70mph with 20psi of boost and when Iam at the top I am down to 10psi and 55mph!! Now when the truck was new it would pull the hills with the trailer and not loose any boost or speed if anything I would gain speed easily!!! With no trailer I the truck runs hot on egt;s and loves the 800*mark. Do I have an issue here. Thanks for your help!! Also I havent changed fuel filters since around 30,000 miles. Could the be getting bad?

·
Registered
42 Posts
The fuel filters might have something to do with it, at any rate - CHANGE THEM! They like being changed around every 10k, and they are easy enough and cheap enough to change. Cheap insurance and a quick and easy way to rule out clogged filters.

·
Registered
03 Excursion , studded, o ringed heads, 200 amp alternator, SG II, cooling fan override, 285/70/17 a
231 Posts
High egt mean tons of fuel and not a lot of boost. Check air filter. It most like is your turbo giving you trouble. my guess are your vanes are sticking and not allowing max boost levels. Need to remove the turbo and clean the vanes.

DTS Articles - Turbocharger Reconditioning

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
High egt mean tons of fuel and not a lot of boost. Check air filter. It most like is your turbo giving you trouble. my guess are your vanes are sticking and not allowing max boost levels. Need to remove the turbo and clean the vanes.

I was reading somewhere on here that there is oil that goes into the turbo and the level must be in the correct level? Is this right or is someone blowin smoke?? I am far beyond confused on this one! If I find The link again I will post it up.

·
Registered
03 Excursion , studded, o ringed heads, 200 amp alternator, SG II, cooling fan override, 285/70/17 a
231 Posts
that has to do with the injectors . the injectors work off of high oil pressure. If you are really low on oil, the hpop can not make enough oil pressure to fire the injectors. not your problem!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Makes sense, because now that I think about it, sometimes when driving up a hill and it shifts into overdrive, the turbo lags and goes to 0-5psi with no power or turbo whistle, also blowing black smoke! Turbo will come back in when I back my foot out of the pedel or come out of overdrive. What I explained only happens when going up hill.
How many hours are involved in this job? I think the hardest will be pulling it off of the truck!

·
Registered
689 Posts
The fuel filters might have something to do with it, at any rate - CHANGE THEM! They like being changed around every 10k, and they are easy enough and cheap enough to change. Cheap insurance and a quick and easy way to rule out clogged filters.
Fuel filters are to be changed every 10,000miles and 15,000 miles. I change mine every 13,000 miles.
this is a cheap place to get racor or motorcraft filters.
http://www.dieselsfiltersonline.com

On youtube, "srmastertech" has videos that document how to work on the turbo and many other aspects of the 6.0L

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well I did some search on youtube and found some interesting things with the 6.0. I guess my issue here is with the turbo needing to be cleaned. I remember awhile back there was a recall on the 04's and stated the up pipes could crack at the bends. Could this be my problem as well as a dirty turbo?

there are some good videos on there such as this one

·
Registered
231 Posts
once you pull the turbo, you will know right away if you have a cracked up pipe.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I had the passenger side up pipe on my truck crack about a year ago and I could tell right away. It got really loud inside the cab

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
now with these up-pipes, could a small hole or crack leaking cause the turbo not to perform 100%. Is it possible to maybe feel back there with my hand to see if it is cracked? Also how hard are they to change and Iam afraid to hear what they cost?

Learning as things happen, thanks for the posts!!!

·
Registered
386 Posts
its pretty tight back there. when i did the passenger side one on mine i took the inner fender out and it wasnt that bad. the worst part was getting the clamp on the egr cooler. I think my up pipe was about a 100 bucks

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well yesterday I was doing an oil change and decided to pull the egr valve out for a cleaning while I was waiting for the oil to drain. I had it out about a year ago, I pulled it out and noticed it was kinda wet/sticky. (have a feeling its not good right? ) I cleaned the valve and it works properly. I was carefully cleaning it with a small screw driver to get the majority of the #### off before spraying with cleaner. I had to scrape down inside the egr port on the engine then suck it out with a hi suck vacume! This result this time was not like the last cleaning for sure. A few pieces of soot/carbon must have gotton on the garage floor and boy what a mess it made. You can tell it has moisture in it because the way it smeared all over the place. what a mess. So Whats my next move here fellows? Snowmobile season is just around the corner and I need this truck 100% ( I cant have any dodges or chevys passin me!!! )

I was looking for the for the exhaust pressure sensor, I was reading on another fourum that these possibly can get dirty and cause lack of power as well. I never did locate it.

·
Stroke it B!tch
964 Posts
I have the BPD egr and i like it since i have to smog every year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the responses, I havent had a chance to look up the difference between a egr delete kit, or a egr cooler kit, I saw bullletproofdiesel around this site alot. What is the difference between the delete kit, and replacing it with bullet proof diesels cooler??

1 - 20 of 25 Posts