Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some suggestions to lower my EGT's for towing. I run a tow tune consistently on the Ex and have had her geared with 433's and 35's and seem to tow consistantly between 1100-1250, and that is with a 6k lb tow hauler. I know you can run all day around 1200, but as soon as I hit the desert, she is cookin...and there's no way to run the AC period! My tranny has 180,000 on it, so do you think it's having trouble getting power to the ground...I am having no trouble with it that I can feel. Any suggestions that will help....I am being told an intercooler or intercooler pipe upgrade is not going to improve it very much, but I would like to lower my EGT's. What are you guys seeing while you tow and what should I upgrade or change next? Thanks for all your help!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH and I have a stage 1 Powermax turbo as well.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
What size exhaust are you running? Cat installed or deleted? What about EGR cooler? Those things, in addition to the intercooler upgrade, would contribute to lower EGTs....as would changing the tune or going back to a stock turbo, but that's not going to happen, is it? lol

Oops....just read your sig. Ok, so you have a 4" exhaust and straight piped. That's a start. A 5" would help a little more, but I know from experience that it's a pain to make it fit right, and it probably wouldn't make much of a difference. Other than the EGR cooler delete, the only thing I can think of is the tune. You may want to try a different one. But, by the looks of your sig, you want to make power, and power creates heat. De-tuning might be your only way. Maybe someone else with more experience in this area will have a better idea.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I may have to try another tow tune but I would think a tow tune wouldn't run that hot.

·
Project Shamu
2,710 Posts
Boost leaks will cause higher EGT's. Check if you have any?

Tuning will play a huge roll in EGT's as well. (granted my experiences are on a 7.3, but i'm sure the same concept) With my canned PHP tunes, I could pin my EGT gauge at 1500 within a few seconds of WOT, now with Swamps custom tuning, I can never get the EGT's over 1300* (while unloaded of course). And I don't even have an intercooler on my OBS!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like I have to get another tune and see what I get with that one. I am sure there are more threads with suggestions but who are the latest and greatest these days?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Sounds like I have to get another tune and see what I get with that one. I am sure there are more threads with suggestions but who are the latest and greatest these days?
There are quite a few out there, but most guys seem to like going for custom written tunes. I don't remember which are which, but if you do a quick search on here, you'll see who likes what. Also, something to consider, is a FICM tune.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts