Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 F250 and regularly pull a 5th wheel toy hauler. I've never had any temp issues other than going to up I-40 to Albuquerque once in the summer, and I just backed off the speed a little and it was fine. Last week I installed a ranch hand sport bumper, with a warn 16.5k winch. This weekend, I was pulling my TH from MS to Texas and noticed a big difference in temps, from my SCT gauge. On Sunday, in just around 80 degree weather, with a little wind and I was pushing over 220 for coolant and 235 for oil temps for short periods, just on flat land. My trans temps rose, but only around 10 degrees, at the most. Before the bumper, my oil temps rarely ever got over 212 and that was pulling hard up hills. Has anyone noticed this issue on this model truck? I really like the bumper's capability and safety factor, but not at the expense of these higher temps. I'm debating on pulling it back off, if I can't figure out a way to let my truck breath better. One thing I noticed, is where the bottom opening in the stock bumper is, the winch takes up that entire area in the ranch hand. There is space on each end for air, but I seriously doubt the airflow is anywhere near the same. I'm wondering if recreating the material that attaches to the radiator, and stock bumper would help channel this air in better? The other factor would be the steel mesh that protects the grill. That could be interrupting the airflow.

·
Project Shamu
3,065 Posts
The 6.7 cooling system is ginormous from what I remember. A little less airflow shouldn't have that much of an effect.

·
Trust me, I got this...
1,489 Posts
Well if the only thing that changed was the bumper/winch, then that seems very likely that is part of the new problem. At least, thats how I think about it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It definitely happened with the bumper install. I pulled the trailer a few days before install, and 2 days afterwards. The only thing I could think of, is if my fan is not working correctly. I've read that you can hear when the fan does come on, but I've never noticed that sound. Is it possible that the radiator is so efficient(without a huge bumper), that it would hide a fan not working, even when pulling well over 12k lbs? Does anyone know what temperature the fan is supposed to come on, at?

·
Premium Member
3,411 Posts
Can you remove the winch easily??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts