Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard of a mod that lets you run both the high beam and low beam headlights at the same time. I know they sell something called the bright box, but wondered if anyone can tell me how to do it myself.

It would also help if someone could tell me what the wiring colors are coming out of the steering column.

Thanks

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
Doing that with a single bulb(like our trucks use) will over heat them and burn them out

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have heard that, but I know Diesel Site sells something called the Brite Box that does the same thing. My truck has been rewired with heavier wires running the lights straight off the battery with relays. This has made the lights much brighter, but running both beams would be awesome.

·
Registered
5,373 Posts
What bulbs are you running?

BTW, what harness do you have? One provider well known to us on the forums, who offered a good harness at a fair price, has recently ceased operations. The ones available on Amazon and from LMC are low quality, and the remaining options are pretty spendy.

·
STILL LEARNING
18,324 Posts
I have heard that, but I know Diesel Site sells something called the Brite Box that does the same thing. My truck has been rewired with heavier wires running the lights straight off the battery with relays. This has made the lights much brighter, but running both beams would be awesome.
I don't see anything on their site that is what you describe.

And again, you can NOT run both bulbs at the same time

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Terminator Nation
5,119 Posts
I bought a BriteBox marked for the 9007 bulbs. It didn't work as advertised. Just had normal low/high operation. Might have been mismarked, could have been for a 9006?

Basically, just installing a large diode from the high beam to the low beam should make the lows come on with the highs and allow low beam only. Or you could make a harness with the high and low beam relay coils tied together in the same fashion avoiding the inherent 0.6 volt diode voltage drop.

·
Billy Big Rigger
288 Posts
I made my own relay harness in high school with 3 relays, one for low beam and 2 for high (one powering low and one high, could be done with a diode and 2 relays) for my 93 F150, ran it like that for 2 years with zero bulb failures, just regular 55/65 Sylvania bulbs. You could run 80/100w Hella bulbs also with the headlight harness you have and have almost the same output.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I am getting a little confused now. I thought it would be a rather simple project. Then I thought the Britebox was the answer, but now I have doubts due to Old Man Dave.

I know I read in a forum somewhere that it has been done. Does anyone know the color of the wires coming out of the steering column?

Thanks very much for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts