Ford Power Stroke Nation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2004 F250 6.0 turbski, 6 speed standard
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to make my high and low beam lights be on at the same time in a 2004 Super Duty. There's some mod that one can do by placing a diode between the high and low hotwires? I don't really know much about wiring, so if anyone has any pictures of how to do this, please show me.

·
Registered
690 Posts
No diode - that would cause low voltage. Simply jumper from the headlight switch input (R/Y) at the beam select switch (integral to the MFS) to the low-beam output (R/Bk). When the headlight switch is on & the beam switch is set for low, the lows are on. When you switch to hi, the lows stay on because of the jumper. It's that simple. This mod is compatible with, and does not affect Autolamp & DRL. But it should NOT be used if both hi & low filaments are in a single bulb, or if both bulbs are in a single reflector. The bulbs or headlight housings could overheat. Only use when hi & low beams are physically separate.

Reactions: 6.0DieselBro

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No diode - that would cause low voltage. Simply jumper from the headlight switch input (R/Y) at the beam select switch (integral to the MFS) to the low-beam output (R/Bk). When the headlight switch is on & the beam switch is set for low, the lows are on. When you switch to hi, the lows stay on because of the jumper. It's that simple. This mod is compatible with, and does not affect Autolamp & DRL. But it should NOT be used if both hi & low filaments are in a single bulb, or if both bulbs are in a single reflector. The bulbs or headlight housings could overheat. Only use when hi & low beams are physically separate.
Seems legit., my truck is an XL so it has neither DRL or Auto :) You got any pictures oh how to do this mod?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I want to make my high and low beam lights be on at the same time in a 2004 Super Duty. There's some mod that one can do by placing a diode between the high and low hotwires? I don't really know much about wiring, so if anyone has any pictures of how to do this, please show me.
bump

·
Registered
690 Posts
You got any pictures oh how to do this mod?
Not on a Ford (yet), but I probably will soon since I'm re-wiring 3 of my 6 trucks while replacing their dashes (one at a time). This shows 4 ways of doing it on a GM: 1997 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dash picture | SuperMotors.net The red wires are the new modifications. Each method is explained below the diagrams. On a Ford, it can be done by removing the upper steering column shroud (usually requires removing the ignition lock cylinder) and installing a simple shunt from the R/Y (headlight switch output) to the R/Bk (low beams) on the front of the MFS' lower connector: 1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net To make it selectable, bring the 2 wires to a new dash switch capable of handling 10A. I'd recommend a switch with some kind of illumination so you notice when it's active, but not so bright as to be distracting.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not on a Ford (yet), but I probably will soon since I'm re-wiring 3 of my 6 trucks while replacing their dashes (one at a time). This shows 4 ways of doing it on a GM: 1997 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dash picture | SuperMotors.net The red wires are the new modifications. Each method is explained below the diagrams. On a Ford, it can be done by removing the upper steering column shroud (usually requires removing the ignition lock cylinder) and installing a simple shunt from the R/Y (headlight switch output) to the R/Bk (low beams) on the front of the MFS' lower connector: 1983 Ford Bronco Diagrams picture | SuperMotors.net To make it selectable, bring the 2 wires to a new dash switch capable of handling 10A. I'd recommend a switch with some kind of illumination so you notice when it's active, but not so bright as to be distracting.
I finally just gave in a bought a Brite Box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts