Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its not a pickup, but we have an 09 E 450 cab and chassis at work with a 6.0 in it.
It started throwing the check engine light a few weeks back. It went into limp mode once, got it home, restarted it and just a check engine light. Ford claimed turbo was on its way out. Got the turbo replaced, no check engine light.
Drove it home, and then about 3 hours to work the next day. Turn it off, start it back up to move it at job site, and the light was on.
Drove it to the dealership and it chugged and lugged and ran like junk. Not sure what the codes were, but they worked on it all day and said because it had HID's, they were interfering. They did not disconnect them so I picked it up and will disconnect them this weekend.
I have had the HID's on for about 10k miles, and roughly 3 months with no problems. 119k on the van just for the info.
I've never heard of this problem, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas why they would say HID's are the problem.

Sorry for the rant and long post, just a little annoyed

·
Registered
254 Posts
I seriously doubt it's your hids. I've had mine hooked up for over 100,000 miles...gotta be something else.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know its not a pickup, but we have an 09 E 450 cab and chassis at work with a 6.0 in it.
It started throwing the check engine light a few weeks back. It went into limp mode once, got it home, restarted it and just a check engine light. Ford claimed turbo was on its way out. Got the turbo replaced, no check engine light.
Drove it home, and then about 3 hours to work the next day. Turn it off, start it back up to move it at job site, and the light was on.
Drove it to the dealership and it chugged and lugged and ran like junk. Not sure what the codes were, but they worked on it all day and said because it had HID's, they were interfering. They did not disconnect them so I picked it up and will disconnect them this weekend.
I have had the HID's on for about 10k miles, and roughly 3 months with no problems. 119k on the van just for the info.
I've never heard of this problem, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas why they would say HID's are the problem.

I have had many HID systems, oem and aftermarket, and have never heard of this problem. Honestly, they have no clue what they are talking about. The light circuit will not cause the engine to fail or stop running. The only problems you can get can happen in particular cars such as BMW's. They actually have sensors that tell you which bulbs are blown. Problem with that is when you add an HID system, it draws much lower voltage than the halogens. This causes the system to detect a low voltage situation making the car think the bulb is blown. A simple resistor does the trick. That said, you don not have a system such as this and an HID setup will not do this unless it was tapped into the ECU somehow - this is far fetched.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also don't think the HID's are the reason its throwing codes.
I got it home, scanned it and found 4 codes, only one i can remember is turbo overboost.
I undid the HID's and cleared the codes and it hasn't thrown a code yet. I'm just waitin for it to act up again cause I'm almost positive the HID's are not the problem

·
Registered
390 Posts

Install the HD relay harness kit for you hids its 10.95 on ebay and your problem will be fixed. Hids cause so many problems when the relay kit is not installed.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Install the HD relay harness kit for you hids its 10.95 on ebay and your problem will be fixed. Hids cause so many problems when the relay kit is not installed.
It already had the relay kit. Came with the HID's as a kit.

·
i like to party
1,415 Posts
I also don't think the HID's are the reason its throwing codes.
I got it home, scanned it and found 4 codes, only one i can remember is turbo overboost.
I undid the HID's and cleared the codes and it hasn't thrown a code yet. I'm just waitin for it to act up again cause I'm almost positive the HID's are not the problem
sounds like a stuck unison ring in the turbo, this is the #1 cause of the overboost code... what were the other codes?

it is 100% NOT the HID's causing the problem, whoever told you that is missing half their brain

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The following codes were on the van when I scanned it. These were scanned AFTER ford replaced the turbo and exhaust sensor. I kinda hate this dealership and am getting sick of them.
Here's the codes:
PO472- exhaust pressure sensor low
PO299 Turbo under boost
PO470
PO472

I took the HID's out just to see what happens and no check engine lights yet but I still can't believe the HID's would make it throw those codes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know its been a while but I'm still curious what the heck went wrong with the HID's. If I take the HIDs out, the van runs fine with no codes. If I put the HID's back in, and turn the headlights on, I get all sorts of codes. The HID's are from ddm tuning.
Anyone have any idea on what went wrong??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts