Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6" ish lift on the truck now, and my truck has started a death wobble at around 20-30 mph after a pothole is hit, I can correct it by coasting, coming to a stop, or speeding up to 40 mph.
I understand my options to correct this are; adjustable panhard bar,and a new tie-rod.
Im wondering if it makes sense to just convert over to a hi-steer kit, since they are about the same price as a brand new tie-rod set.
any thoughts, pics?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thr death wobble you r getting is from wore out front end parts. Ball joints tie rod ends track bar bushing who knows I would bother with hi steer unless you are going bigger. The other problem is looking at the picture u have up is with ur rear end so tall ur front axle has no positive pressure on it do a shackle reversal and solve it all right there

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That pic was taken days after I lifted the truck with Sky's RSK + FSK, as well as slapped some 37" Hummer tires on it. Im thinking of adding another leaf to the front or buying new lift springs.
And yes my tie-rod ends have seen better days, my panhard bushings look good though.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I would make sure ur front end was sound before high steer and all that y r your front tires so close to the back fenders r your front springs slacking bad

·
Davey B
930 Posts
I would definately go through the frontend, im pretty sure you'll find your problem there. Adding crossover steering will not fix the problem and you dont need it if your only running 6'' of lift

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mouse; the rear shackle pulls the axle backward a bit, and that pic is also at an odd angle, in real life it doesnt look that bad.
I changed out the stub shaft ujoint on my driver side today, it was frozen in one direction so that may have been it.
I may not need the crossover steering for my smaller lift however if I can improve upon the factory design Id be pretty happy.
Also a new tie-rod assembly is pretty expensive so an upgraded system would make more sense

*Recent research on Rockauto.com has shown that I can get a whole new steering assembly for $100, anyone know of a better OEM tie-rod setup price?*

·
Registered
95 Posts
Got cha devil dog it just looked way back. I would not mess with cross over steering unless u r going real high I worked at a offroad fab shop in NC for 7 years and you won't need it in my opinion unless you r going like 8 or more it docent help with wobble at all just helps with tie rod angle and bump steer. How was that rsk to install I am going to make my own haven't seen ne sky kits yet get me some pictures if you can would like to see there shackles and how it mounts up front thanks.i

·
Registered
300 Posts
How soon after the 37" hummer tires went on did this death wobble start? Those tires aren't exactly known for being good for much of anything. A steering stabilizer, while not a true fix, will mask the problem.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after I stopped messing around with les swabs on balancin the tires and had another shop done it, they stopped their wobble, but the fronts mainly the busted up rob ends, just need to decide if I'll go with the autozone rod for $240 or pick up the parts and have something fancy fabbed up.
Steering Kit Chevy Tie Rod Ends

After having done the Sky lift im a bit torn, Its a nice lift but im not really sure if the rides any better than itd have been if I just added lift springs. Set aside a full day for the lift, an get a competent buddy to help you. You'll also need a torch an maybe a Rotobroach
Rotabroach Annular Cutters for Mag Drills, Sheet Metal, and Industrial Applications
Ya dont really need a torch or cutters but they make things go alot faster, if ya have a plasma torch thats going to be the best way to remove the old rear shackles, if you had planned on that. I can attempt to find pics, not sure youll see anything things are pretty well covered in oil an dirt lol
Those guys have a really nice setup! Partsmike.com has some good ends too.
Im planning on going to larger tires and and lifting the rig maybe another 2" to 8" it'll depend on if I want to take the trophy truck look or stick with a more standard setup.

·
(520)465-7971
909 Posts
As others have stated a crossover steering kit isnt needed and actually wont even work until you get over an 8" lift (the steering tube will make contact with the leaf pack). Check and replace steering and ball joints as needed and have an alignment done. As far as the alignment is concerned, your talking about maybe going up a bit, I would have the alignment done afterwards, just to make sure everything comes out right.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats an interesting setup, like the use of factory parts

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
IMO..lifts over 6" need Highsteer and a new set of track bar mounts with a longer adj track bar. We have them. PM if we can help.

·
Underfunded
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The current idea is to get the Chevy TRE's from PartsMike then have the local fab shop make up some .190 - .250 walled DOM tubing and put together the y-link setup, Ends up being less than the best factory setup available.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i used to have 11inches and 39s(ive dropped it to 8inches and 35s but my setup is still the same) on mine and had the same death wobble.steering stabalizers will definitely help and mask the problem but the stock tie rods are junk for anything other than stock tires imo. i have 1ton chebby tie rod ends in a machined dom tubing and the same for my high steer. google shaker built steering....local guy that did my setup. btw im have a kingpin d60 under my 250. ill try and get some pics of my setup.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Go to complete offroad.com they have a steering system there that is nice all new tie rod ends dom tubing threaded inserts made too steering set ups last month with it. For 220.00 u can't beat it

·
Registered
558 Posts
As others have stated a crossover steering kit isnt needed and actually wont even work until you get over an 8" lift (the steering tube will make contact with the leaf pack). Check and replace steering and ball joints as needed and have an alignment done. As far as the alignment is concerned, your talking about maybe going up a bit, I would have the alignment done afterwards, just to make sure everything comes out right.

Not True... I have about 5 inches and my hi steer works just fine, no clearance issues even at full flex

·
99 superduty on 22.5
147 Posts
everyone has an oppionion. but mine is a 99 with 8" fabtech adn i have all factory steering and it is all original and i dont have any problems with it. so its all about preference. when i put the additional 6 inches on it i will go with a crossover steering.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts