Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
cattle farmer
1,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
if you guys could go back in time would you rather have built up the powerstroke or do you think you made the right decision putting a cummins in it....

thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
Well I have one out of a 1997 f750 sitting on the stand now but im still not shure..

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I have a p pumped 12v and a 7.3 both on stands right now and I can NOT decide what to do.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
it's a tough choice, but you can easily spend just as much money in a 12v as a PSD. my buddy is putting a 12v in his SD after cracking his block and he has spent over $17k in the conversion already. He still doesn't have have injectors, fuel system, built pump or the engine even in one piece yet. LoL. either way is good

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey thomas consider labor, down time and all those little trips to the parts stores also. Its all the little things that add up quicker than the big parts. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
305 Posts
No regrets what so ever. I've got over 120,000 on my conversion well over 500 hp and at times 780 hp. We've done well over 30 of these conversions in various type vehicles and other than the sticker shock not one has regretted it.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
:whs: I wish i had done it sooner. The engine is so quiet and smooth. I can go through a drive through without any problem. Inside the truck you can hold a conversation while accelerating from a stop light as if you were sitting still.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I am really glad I put swapped in the '04 Cummins. I had near $17k in my conversion as well (engine, BTS, and conversion parts), before selling any parts. I ended up with about $13k total after selling my old engine etc.

·
Ya Boy, Fish and Chicken!
57 Posts
I would rather do a 24V. If mine ever blows that is what I want to do.

Find a totaled Cummins. swap everything over and go from there.

·
Death Row Inmate #7
1,458 Posts
I am really glad I put swapped in the '04 Cummins. I had near $17k in my conversion as well (engine, BTS, and conversion parts), before selling any parts. I ended up with about $13k total after selling my old engine etc.
this reminds me. my buddy also still hasn't gotten a BTS for his yet. still a stock 4R100 under the truck. haha. so he will be well over $20k before he is done the way it's looking:eek:

·
Registered
918 Posts
I had a fully built PSD in my 2002.. It made 450 RWHP, towed like a dream and was a great truck!

I sold it to replace it with a 1995 crew cab. I would have bought another PSD, but wanted a 5 speed, and this truck was too nice to pass.. The 460 was TERRIBLE on fuel and had way less power than I wanted...

I just finished swapping in my 12V this week, and Im still in the fine tuning process... So far I liked the PSD for the 14 position chip, I liked the lower EGTs of the PSD... The cummins spools very quickly... I have not been able to get the pre boost fuel to my liking yet, still finding it a little smoky down low for my liking.. I LOVE LOVE working on the cummins rather than the PSD, but thats just me...

I think that the $3000 injectors on PSDs and the expensive turbo setups make them expensive to get going with mods...

I got my 12V for $ 1200 complete... Im into my HX35 for $250, and $200 for injectors... The engine plate and mount kit was like $2000

So for the price of good hybrids and a good PSD turbo and live tuning, I got a cummins, mounts and plate, and smallish turbo and injectors...

Its a hard call....

·
Harry Callahan
991 Posts
Go drive a conversion truck, then the choice is clear. 12v is not as easy to get right, especially down low, but it can be done. Common rail is more $ but for a street truck I would say cr is the best choice.

·
nobody likes a quitter
447 Posts
:whs: I wish i had done it sooner. The engine is so quiet and smooth. I can go through a drive through without any problem. Inside the truck you can hold a conversation while accelerating from a stop light as if you were sitting still.
Go drive a conversion truck, then the choice is clear. 12v is not as easy to get right, especially down low, but it can be done. Common rail is more $ but for a street truck I would say cr is the best choice.
I agree with these guys. I would do it again in a heartbeat. I just did 660 hp my first time on the dyno all with bolt on stuff, no bottom end work. This is my daily driver and I can drive it virtually smoke free if I want to, even on kill! :evil

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's only money,just remember the best trucks are hand built not factory built.I love my truck ,runs great,soooooo Quiet compared to the POS 6.0 and fast.Spent way to much money that could not be recovered but
"I DID IT MYSELF" and it runs good,puts a Smile on my face when I hand a fellow Ford there butt.
Six in a row tows better......

·
Registered
482 Posts
Im really close to getting mine finished, so I can't possibly answer totally yet but I just could NOT justify spending 10k on a built 7.3 that no one can say for certain what its going to do over 650. The way my 7.3 was at 550 was awesome, but would cause problems if I went bigger. There are no simple do this solutions for 650+ with a 7.3, they do what they wish. The one thing I'll say for people thinking about doing it, is dont get in a hurry if you can, mine has taken since July so far. But I have ran across great deals in the process, also I sold EVERYTHING before I started the swap, running engine, H2E kit, injectors...etc before anything broke. I've got pretty good deals on stuff so far and I'm nowhere near spending big money on it. I sold all of my 7.3 stuff for roughly 4k or so, ran across a deal on a fresh built 12v that someone here I know and trust assembled for his personal truck and had some things come up, so I scored a fresh rebuilt engine that hasnt even been started with studs and the normal 12v stuff for 1600 bucks so my decision was obvious. I've since picked up a set of compounds for 2k with very little miles on them and had my pump built and injectors made for 2k ish. Then ran across a used Destroked kit for a great price. So I'll be in the 2-3k range out of pocket when its said and done for something that should make around 700 fairly reliable HP. Sorry for being long winded, point is basically don't get in a hurry and think long term.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would rather do a 24V. If mine ever blows that is what I want to do.

Find a totaled Cummins. swap everything over and go from there.

STAY AWAY FROM THE 24V!!!!!!!!!! I drive a 2001 Dodge and that [email protected] VP44 is nothin but headaches and can't make NEAR the power a 12V or CR can. I drive this truck simply for the Cummins and I didn't know about these conversions before I bought it. I would love nothing more than to have a F-350 SRW with a 6spd,4WD and CR conversion. I don't think I'd ever buy another truck the rest of my life LOL.

·
Wheelie Dude
2,126 Posts
You may spend roughly the same on a conversion as building a PSD, hell probably even more but in the end you wind up with something that will kill that 7.3 with predjudice.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My question is a 500 H.P. cummins the same, better, or worse than a 500 H.P. powerstroke? Ive always thought that a powerstroke has a better "seat of the pants feel" than a cummins, but as soon as you hook somthing to the bumper the cummins is better?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts