Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the sight and newer to fords but not to diesels, figured I would jump off the band wagon of I make more power and through more smoke than you which i found with the Cummins crowd, that and honestly who wants a motor that was never designed to power a truck anyway? So i traded in my 01 2500 Dodge and picked up a clean 03 6.0 F250 FX4, She is bone stock in all apperances, but i have a hunch that at least the high Idle mod was done to her. Idles at about 1100 after a few minutes of just sitting. But then again could be another thing altogether. I have heard the horror stories of the EGR, Oil cooler and coolant, and head studs putting a quick stop to these trucks. First mods in work are the delete and upgraded cooler with a full coolant system flush. after that a set of MBRP 6 inch stacks, a strong but not crazy tune, and a little lift should wrap it up. If anyone out there has any good ideas on the best set ups on these trucks please let me know. I am all ears and truly welcome the advice. She will be used for my daily driver and weekend horse and camper hauler, so reliabilty is a must on the mods suggested. Thanks in advance for the help and words of wisdom and although i am new to the sight i have seen nothing but good things. Not just bragging and show boating going on here but true enthusists that want to see other like minded people enjoy, and have the same pride in there vehicle as they do. Thanks again and Keep on rolling the coal...

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Congrats and welcom....but in my opinion you just went from cummins worst engine (vp pumped 24 valve) to internationals worst modern diesel(6.0) Just seems silly to me why you would have picked those two trucks? but to each there own. If it were me in your shoes i would deffinatly do the delete like you planned but also through some headstuds in it at the same time...

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Deffinately doing the EGR but cant seem to find a good place to do the Head Studs, did some research to figure out why the 6.0 and not the 7.3 or newer powerstrokes, basically my father in law has a 03 only two build numbers off mine with 250,000 miles on it and has never had a issue with it, yes it still has the egr and other than basic maintenance and consumeables it still runs like a scalded dog. Secondly I love proving that actions speak more than words, so i plan on making this thing fairly bullet proof and keeping her on the road till its just the rust holding her together...

·
Monty'sWhiteF250
203 Posts
May not be a high idle mod. Mine will do it to after a few minutes just to get warmed up. I may be wrong I'm sure someone else knows better. But congrats on the buy! I have the same year and model with just the EGR delete kit so far.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Dont idle a lot and keep her stock. The 6.0 is a maintenance whore so keep that in mind. If you keep it stock you wont need to stud it, but if do tune it then install the headstuds. EGR delete is a good idea. Also smoke is a bad word around here, just FYI.

Congrats and welcome.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts