Ford Power Stroke Nation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from the emergency vet clinic. Had to put my dog to sleep. Riley was 12 and he was big guy, 105 lbs in his prime.

Got home tonight and his breathing was labored and he was lethargic. Thought he mighta eaten something so I gave him some Pepto. Four hours later he wasn't any better so I took him to the after-hours clinic. Ran some tests and his white blood cell count was through the roof and there were other indications he had cancer. His pulse was sporadically shooting up to almost 300. Poor guy felt terribly - every time his pulse shot up he suffered a heart attack and there was no hope to make him feel better. He died in my arms.

I know most dog people think there's is the best one on the planet and I was no exception. He has left a giant paw-shaped hole in my heart...I will miss him.

He was a loving, goofy, happy guy that brought so much joy to our lives; when our daughter came along 6 years ago he was amazingly tolerant and patient. She liked to grab his tail and try to surf behind him on the hardwood floors (even though we told her no). Never phased Riley one bit.

This was very sudden. This morning he was howling at the firetrucks, now he's gone. He had gotten "lumpy" a couple of years ago so I kinda figured he would die of cancer - I just never imagined it would be so sudden.

Sorry, but everyone else in the house is asleep. Needed to get this off my chest.

Farewell old friend.

Attachments

·
HÄWÄÌÌÄñ
1,161 Posts
sorry to hear :( my brothers had a hard time dealing with both of my grandmothers dog passing away. its hard telling the kids about it.

·
Registered
3,629 Posts
sorry to hear about that, in time you may be able to be comforted it was quick, I've heard too many stories of it being long drawn out and the animal in pain for a long time.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Sorry to hear. It is always hard to lose a pet. After 12 years, they ain't a pet anymore, they are part of the family.

We have two boxes in our house. One was a special dog of mine. One was a special dog of my wifes.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you guys! I do take comfort that he went quickly. It was hard enough seeing him suffer last night.

Andy, we too will now have two boxes; my Big Guy will be joining my wife's first dog.

The irony here is we had decided to adopt two little dogs a couple of weeks ago because we knew Riley wouldn't be with us forever and we wanted to avoid an empty house. Through my wife's horsey connections we found out about these two guys in SC that run a rescue out of their horse farm:

Danny and Ron's Rescue

We are adopting the first two male dogs - Hans and Rue. Just looking for a northbound ride for them. They won't replace Riley but at least the house will only be empty for a short while for our daughter's sake.

These guys have 37 dogs in their house and another 60 or so on the farm that they have rescued and are looking for homes. We have friends who adopted a great little dog from them sight-unseen and they couldn't be happier. I can't imagine 37 dogs in my house...

Thank you again!
Best,
Jim

·
Crazy wid da cheeze wiz
2,411 Posts
Sorry to hear, we had to put down our black lab last year, after 12 years. We got her when I was 4 and I grew up with her.

·
DI POWER
1,278 Posts
Sorry for your loss Jim. Know the feeling, my dog died in my arms yrs ago. Had him creamated.

·
All done now
22,486 Posts
Don't click on that link it Teds post unless you have a box of Kleenex handy.

My eyes tear up just reading the link.

Hope you can find a ride North for your new pups soon.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Sorry for the loss man. I had to put my lab down after 15 years he could not walk no more. We did everything to help the old man it just couldn't happen no more he was suffering. It was hard holding him when the vet came out to the house.

·
6Leaker
6,719 Posts
So sorry for your loss, it sure is a hard thing to go through.

·
Registered
254 Posts
He was a nice looking dog, sorry for your loss!!!

·
I Just Break Stuff
2,201 Posts
Man I hate to hear that . Thats a tough one there. Its like loosing one of your children. Its hard to think about replacing them, but it sure helped me after I lost mine of 18 years. Sorry for your loss man.

·
Yeah, it's like that
2,419 Posts
Sorry for your loss, dogs truly are man's best friend. He had a full life and it sounds like with a lot of love. He enjoyed being with you as much as you enjoyed being with him. Remeber the good times and forget about the times he ate the new couch. Both of your lives were better together.

·
Headwind Magnet
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you everyone...your support and kind words are truly moving!

We were blessed to have Riley as part of our family. You are all the kinda people he would have wanted to knock down and lick to death. :D

Best,
Jim

1 - 20 of 38 Posts